View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 AM
illinois

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
Originally Posted by illinois
Another little gift --covers for the straps on car seats. Cut 2 pieces 6 1/4 x at least 4". Put a bit of batt inside and then velcro on the 4" side so the 6 1/4" part wraps around the strap. This protects the baby's neck from irritation from the straps and also gives a bit of support to a sleepy head. These work well for any age as long as they are in the seats. Might even work with bigger people who complain about seat belts rubbing on their necks!
I just wanted to note on this, I love the idea but caution that carseats are only safety tested with the equipment that came with the seat. Anytime you add anything, even a coat between the straps and child, you are compromising the safety to some degree. This is why the seat manufactors and safety people don't recommend anythign under or around the straps. You aren't able to get the straps as tight as they are supposed to be. Just a FYI. I don't think it's as big of a deal for adult seat belts! :lol:

I've heard that the health depts do not approve the use of such a wrap for infants car seats. However, I thought it was interesting that a rather large neonatal unit would not release a preemie unless the padded strips were on the seat at dismissal! Go figure.