Thread: Airplane Seats
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 PM
MCH

To recline, or not, that is the question. I don't usually recline (and I've logged thousands of miles!). If I try to recline, I feel as if I'm going to slide out of the seat.

As for those who do recline, I'd like for them to spend some time in my seat...having to look at the top of their seat, 6" from my face. Furthermore, I don't need to be able to count the hairs comprising your comb-over, your bald spot, see the oil glisten off your hair, or have your dandruff flakes in the foreground.

I'm one of those who believes that all seats on the plane should be permanently locked in the upright position. I have spent too many hours with a seat back in my face to have any tolerance for reclining seats.

I never understood the actions of individuals who insist on leaving their seat all the way reclined, when they're eating a meal on their tray. (You can tell I've been flying for years as meals have become extinct in coach) That's just rude and certainly qualifies as encroachment onto the poor schlub behind them.

Here's a solution I've used, especially on transcontinental and flights to/ from Europe. You wanna recline so you can sleep? Well, get ready 'cause I'm going to have a very active bladder and I WILL use your seat back as a handle that I have to shake on my way to the toilet. Wake up, Sleeping Beauty. Time for a potty break. Don't go back to sleep, either, cause I'll shake, rattle, and roll your seat back when I return. Guaranteed.

I've also been known to literally put my foot against the back of the seat in front of me. No way you're going to put that seat back in my face. I even had a arrogant, self-ablsorbed yahoo threaten to hit me if I didn't let his seat recline. I told him to go ahead. (He didn't scare me. I had confronted pickpockets in Rome on that trip and got my husband's wallet back! Some yahoo in a suit on a plane didn't intimidate me.) The flight attendant told him to sit down and be quiet. He did eventually recline, but I sure as H-E- ** made his trip miserable after he did, as we were flying from Rome to San Francisco.

...and don't even get me started on the behavior of people whose seat is further back in coach, but put their stuff (and I cleaned up that!), in the overhead bins at the front of the cabin and then head on to their seat. "We all have to share the space." First off, it shouldn't even be necessary to make that announcement! Second, all of those people should be seated next to an overflowing toilet or to another passenger who just came off a 3-day wilderness camping trip and was still in their hiking clothes and shoes. Or, one who is prone to prolonged bouts of air sickness whereby they use all those little bag...repeatedly. Sweet.

Solution to the problem: If you have the time and resources, make that 4-hour flight a road trip. You will be much happier...and, unless you're driving, you can recline the entire trip. %>)

If you do have to fly, just steel yourself for the trip and be sure to get an aisle seat!