Airplane Seats

Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Zoe

Pookie Ookie, Your post had me laughing because it brings back memories (that seems to be my trigger for writing these days). We've flown all over the world in the days when flights could be exciting. On my very first airplane trip I stupidly wore a wig, one of those Dolly Parton platinum things that made my face resemble a pecan. After we were in the air I started to get a severe headache, and my husband suggested I remove my wig. But, you see, I couldn't do that because I was also wearing a "do-rag" or a cut-off stocking cap to keep my own hair in place. By the time we arrived to wherever, I was as limp as the roses in my arms. I am older (much) and wiser (not as much) these days.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Zoe
Pookie Ookie, Your post had me laughing because it brings back memories (that seems to be my trigger for writing these days). We've flown all over the world in the days when flights could be exciting. On my very first airplane trip I stupidly wore a wig, one of those Dolly Parton platinum things that made my face resemble a pecan. After we were in the air I started to get a severe headache, and my husband suggested I remove my wig. But, you see, I couldn't do that because I was also wearing a "do-rag" or a cut-off stocking cap to keep my own hair in place. By the time we arrived to wherever, I was as limp as the roses in my arms. I am older (much) and wiser (not as much) these days.
Zoe, your post has ME laughing! Ah, the things we've all done in the name of fashion!! And, you're right about flying in the early days, it was fun most of the time. Now-a-days, it's nothing more than a cattle call. Don't the airlines get it?!!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:48 AM

A yoga block?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:18 AM

that is exactly why I upgrade as often as I can. And a window seat to boot.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Having to sit straight up kills my back, so I am a recliner.
Yeah, me too, I have to recline.
I seldom fly and only if absolutely necessary but I have to have my seat reclined because of back pain. My husband is the opposite and can't understand why I can't sit up straight. I'd like him to experience my sore back for a day and he might not be so quick to judge. Driving isn't great for me either because I can't drive/ride only a couple hours at a time or I have a hard time getting out of the car.

I don't think I want to know what shape my back will be in 20 years from now.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:38 PM

I used to love to fly, but after a couple of really bad experiences I don't even like to think of it. I don't like to recline--for one thing, the seats don't really recline enough to get any rest. And I don't like to bother anyone behind me--I would be too self-conscious worrying about if I was in their space to be able to sleep...
What happened to make me so afraid of flying now? There was a flight I was on, where the take-off was delayed--of course, AFTER we were already aboard. There was something wrong with the plane, and all the power was shut off. That also meant that there was absolutely no air flow through the plane either. I was sitting between two great big guys, who may or may not have bathed before the flight, but were sweating nonetheless. The air quickly got stagnant and from there got downright unbreathable. I tend to be claustrophobic anyway, and without any airflow and being blocked in between two big guys, it was all I could do not to freak out! I remember just sitting there, counting to distract my mind, talking to myself to get through it all.
Another time, I had requested an aisle seat, because after the above experience, I figured that it would be easier to manage if I was on the aisle. There were no aisle seats left, and the ticket agent said it would be best if I could talk the person on the aisle seat into trading spaces with me. Well, I was in the window seat and I saw a slim, very attractive woman coming down the aisle. I was delighted that she sat next to me and then just about lost it when her husband came down the aisle after her. He must have weighed about 350 pounds. He filled up that seat and I couldn't even see past him. I kept looking out the window to keep myself under control. Fortunately, it was a short flight. Now if I HAVE to fly anywhere, I do it with medication. A very nice anti-anxiety medication gets me through, but then when I get to where I'm going, I am drowsy from the "rescue" drug... :cry:
Old 02-07-2010, 07:39 PM

I want to fly First Class or posh private jet or not at all! Sitting up straight - yucky; someone in front of me reclining ... much more yucky! Over the years, I've flown in everything from a 2-seater with no heater (froze my buns off) to a C-130 with cargo and basically standing room only (and a sick 18-month old son) all the way from the Azore Islands to New Jersey. I've been on lots of commercial flights (no First Class, regrettably) and they are just barely tolerable.

Actually, scratch that first sentence ... I'm not getting in any more flying machines. I'll bloody well walk first!

I did go all across Canada by passenger train, though, back in the days when that was a classy way to travel (and probably still is) and I'm here to tell you ... I had a super FINE time!