View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 06:49 PM
lmanna

Feel free to share your plan for your units, layout, temperature ranges, colors, etc.

Here's my plan:
I live in Western WA and our temperatures generally range between 30 and 90 degrees in any given year. We do not get a huge range of temps so for my city using increments of 5 degrees makes the most sense for me in order to get a good color variation. If I didn't want much of a color variation I would define my ranges in 10 degree increments.

My range is:
[TABLE="class: cms_table_grid, width: 500, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD]Temperature Range[/TD]
[TD]Color[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]< 31[/TD]
[TD]Dark Purple[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]31-35[/TD]
[TD]Light Purple[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]36-40[/TD]
[TD]Dark Blue[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]41-45[/TD]
[TD]Light Blue[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]46-50[/TD]
[TD]Dark Teal[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]51-55[/TD]
[TD]Light Teal[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]56-60[/TD]
[TD]Dark Green[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]61-65[/TD]
[TD]Light Green[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]66-70[/TD]
[TD]Light Yellow[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]71-75[/TD]
[TD]Dark Yellow[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]76-80[/TD]
[TD]Light Orange[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]81-85[/TD]
[TD]Dark Orange[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]86-90[/TD]
[TD]Dark Pink[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]> 90[/TD]
[TD]Red[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

My Units and Layout
My units are going to be HSTs with the top half representing the highest temp for the day and the lower half representing the lowest temp for the day. I "think" I am making 2" HSTs to finish at 1.5" squares.

I am going to sew my HSTs into columns for each month. So first column = January (31 HSTs), 2nd column = sashing, 3rd column = February (28 HSTs), 4th column = sashing, etc. Since January will have 31 HSTs and February will only have 28 I will add 3 solid colored squares to the bottom of February's HSTs. These will be the same color as the sashing. Undecided on the color although I know I do not want it to be any of the colors used in my temperature ranges. It will likely be white, black or gray.

Based on my calculations my quilt should end up around 28.75 x 38.75 or 31.25 x 38.75 depending on whether or not I add side borders to make it a bit wider. This is perfect for my desire to make this into a wall quilt as opposed to a bed quilt.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-02-2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS