View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 09:37 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Originally Posted by crowmel View Post
I have had the Studio for a long time and now look for any way to use it instead of cutting with rotary or scissors. I am losing a lot of strength in both my hands as I get older and find that when using a rotary blade, often not a good cut. I encourage you to look at the strip dies. I wait until they go onsale (40-50% off) at the website and buy one when I can. I have thus accumulated all of them over time. I have marked each of my strip dies for squares and triangle and half triangle cuts. Take a silver pen and mark different lines on the strip dies to get each cut (you can remove this line with alcohol if you choose). For example cut 2 1/2 inch strips, mark cross lines on the strip die at 90 degrees with a ruler, line the stips to that line and cut again, thus 2 1/2 inch squares. You can also mark 60 degree and 45 degree lines to get diamonds or triangles. So, in my opinion, strip dies are the most cost effective buy you can make. I would also invest in 8 1/2 inch through 12 1/2 inch squares as these are common block sizes. I think you should think about what kind of quilts you like to make and see if the above description fits. If you are an applique loving quilter, then possibly add some applique dies to your die inventory. Hope this Helps
Mel
my strip dies have the angles marked for the diamonds. I really like the strip dies!