View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 04:11 AM
firelass77

Default Sewing Maching refurb

Morning People of the board,

I hope you had a lovely festive season. I spent all day yesterday reserching the best way to refurb the old singer I have been given by my mum.

I have found out from the searial number that being manafactured in 1925 it is three years older than my gran. There is a manual in the drawer of the machine dated 1929 but it is for the same model.

The moving parts all move, so we are off to a good start.

My plan is to strip it, clean all the metal with metal polish, then strip and re varnish the wood. After all that is done I would like to see if someone will take it of my hands who will use it. I am not doing this to make money, getting the money back for the varnish would be fine.

When mum moved in to a disabled adapted house she could not take it with her, then I moved out of the city and could not take it with me. Only I did because I coudn't stand to see it go on a dump. There is really no space for it in this house, and I don't sew offten enough or do big enough jobs to warrwent having it when someone else could be using it.

The reason I am hear is to make sure I don't do anything really wrong and mess this up. I noticed online that people reconmend lots of diffrent products for doing the restoration, and for lots of reasons.

I would like to know what you guys thought.

I would like to introduce myself: I am Kelda, ( waves) My gran ( who owned the sewing machine) brought it up from england with her. That is amusing because it was my dads mum who was the knitter and sewer.
I was born and brought up in Edinburgh, since graduating from uni I have moved north, I am currently A highschool Careers Advisor. You would be supprised with how much careers advisory has changed since you were at school.

I do cross stich, I have been known to sew things, but not offten enough. The most I do is fix seems, hem things, change zips.

Nice to meet you guys, any advice on what products to get for the singer welcome.
There should be pictures attached to this post.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails 20161227_115451.jpg   20161227_115455.jpg   20161227_115513.jpg   20161227_115538.jpg   20161227_115619.jpg  

20161227_115658.jpg