View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 06:30 PM
Pegasus

I think I've found a way to participate in the fabric moratorium this year. I'll just stop buying for new projects. Buying something like background or backing fabric for a project "kit" I've already got would be okay. I've got enough fabric for about a dozen quilt tops. I've noticed myself getting a bit obsessive with checking daily deals across a few online quilt stores. I like the idea of getting pretty things for a deal and looking forward to a new package in the mail. On the bright side, I've emptied out at least a handful of carts after giving myself a day or so to think about it. I need to stop checking those sites every day.

I've been working on a lap-sized quilt kit I bought last year after a few months of not sewing a single stitch. I made a firm pressing board out of a 24" square of plywood, some batting, and canvas. This has made ironing yardage so much easier! I can set it on my sewing table and press blocks while sitting down. Traditional ironing boards are actually really awkward to use for quilting, come to think of it. I've also learned how to cut fabric more accurately, particularly strips, so piecing is a lot more fun when I don't have to stretch fabric so much to make blocks fit together.