Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 32 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries

2017 Fabric Moratorium

Welcome to the 2017 Fabric Moratorium.
    We have general guidelines, but please just do whatever makes sense for you. Although we call it the "Fabric Moratorium" the main idea is to not add to our stash and hopefully reduce it!
    Here are some general guidelines:
    * No fabric purchases "just for your stash" from Jan 1 until U.S. Black Friday (11/24/17).
    * When you start a new project, shop your stash first. If you don't have anything that will work, then feel free to make a purchase. Hopefully at least some of the fabric for every new project will come from your existing stash.
    As the year progresses, post your updates here. We can support and encourage each other, post tips on how you use your stash, and any planned new projects where you shopped your stash!
    Let us know about falling off the wagon, everyone enjoys a great excuse to purchase fabric.
    Pictures are always wonderful!
    As stated these are just guidelines, there are no Moratorium police! Just start using all that gorgeous fabric in your stash, after all, that's what you bought it for!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Welcome to the 2017 Fabric Moratorium.
    We have general guidelines, but please just do whatever makes sense for you. Although we call it the "Fabric Moratorium" the main idea is to not add to our stash and hopefully reduce it!
    Here are some general guidelines:
    * No fabric purchases "just for your stash" from Jan 1 until U.S. Black Friday (11/24/17).
    * When you start a new project, shop your stash first. If you don't have anything that will work, then feel free to make a purchase. Hopefully at least some of the fabric for every new project will come from your existing stash.
    As the year progresses, post your updates here. We can support and encourage each other, post tips on how you use your stash, and any planned new projects where you shopped your stash!
    Let us know about falling off the wagon, everyone enjoys a great excuse to purchase fabric.
    Pictures are always wonderful!
    As stated these are just guidelines, there are no Moratorium police! Just start using all that gorgeous fabric in your stash, after all, that's what you bought it for!
    I rather like this idea, might force me to use my stash which is way bigger than I should admit and do some projects. It seems I get discouraged going thru the stash when I start a project, much easier to just go get what I want. Needless to say, that has to stop now. First on my list will be something with stripes. Major hate stripes and tend to put any of that material to the back of the stash. Here I go, starting this weekend. Good luck to all of you out there attempting too!!. Happy New Year!

I have been working on that in 2016 but will continue in 2017. My first will be to use a small tote of Christmas fabric.

Blog Entries
    I plan to work on a victorian crazy quilt. I stashed all of the fabric last year and started some of the embroidered blocks.

Blog Entries
    Every year I budget x amount of $ for quilting...this amount includes fabric, batting, thread, books, patterns...Currently I am using stash for the BOM our guild has. We can choose making 6 or 12" blocks...over achiever that I sometimes am, I'm doing both in 2 different fabric ways. Tuesday's purchase started me on my 2017 tally...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    I'm in! It's my goal to sew through all my fabric before I'm dead. My next three projects:
    1. Digging through bins I found some chintz with large scale floral designs. Can't decide if I should fussy cut or not.
    2. Tons of hexies cut out that I've been hand piecing. Think I'll finish on my machine.
    3. Rescued tons of plaid from a local production of Brigadoon before they tossed it in a dumpster. Time to turn it into charity quilts.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    2016 Update and 2017 plans:
    I am still working on my crumb quilt being made from a large quilting mistake rather than throwing the mistake out. I joined a couple of 2.5" swaps to use up my stash....I have the blocks done for the hunter's star and the barnraising, just not assembled yet. Except the I Spy swap....that and my stash turned into NICU charity baby quilts but I had to buy flannel for the baby backings and I got that at JA blackfriday 70%off sale....They can be seen at Annaquilts thread here on the forum: Looking for help to make baby quilts for the NICU, neo-natal intensive care units

Mine are at posts # 133, 138 and 153.

I am making Elizabeth Hartman's Lepidoptera quilt using the leftovers from her fancy forest quilt (which I did buy the fatqtrs for) and my stash.

Gee...it sounds like I am over extended...and maybe so.... but since I cleaned up my sewing room and got all the fabrics out of bags and sorted, I am on a roll to use them. I cannot believe, with all this fabric, I never bought RW&B for my QOV blocks.....primary colors are not my favorite.

Love this! I am not only working on a fabric moratorium, but an "everything" moratorium. My weaknesses are books and specialty rulers (most of the rulers are still sitting unused while I use the same ones all the time!). I will join you in the journey!!

oksewglad I like this idea of budgeting. While my fabric purchases are better thanks to the Moratoriums and I do shop my stash first, I also have an abundance of batting (sales in July) and thread.
    Looking forward to the new year and hopefully using the fabric I already have.
    Erin

I have been seriously thinking about this for a few weeks now. So count me in!!
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

I've been a fabric moratorium for a few years now. Now I have to go on a scrap moratorium. People give me their scraps and I can't say no. The last four or five quilts I have made have been entirely from my scraps and stash. I bought new for the two Stack 'n' Whacks, but the only other new stuff I bought mostly came from JoAnn's left-over bin at half price. I buy every piece of Kona black I see there. Usually when I want black, it will be for sashing or background, and lots of small pieces works fine.
    But my scraps are the things I have to use more of. I have lots of ideas.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I'm like Krystyna, I want to use my stash before I die. I have been working on the stash and my scraps for 2 years now, lots of quilts and still a lot to go. I have only purchased material for 2 king backs in this 2 years. Now I gasp when I see the current fabric prices. I will be continuing this year. Drawers are slowly becoming possible to close! Mystery quilts sure help use it up. Good luck to all! Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Every year I budget x amount of $ for quilting...this amount includes fabric, batting, thread, books, patterns...Currently I am using stash for the BOM our guild has. We can choose making 6 or 12" blocks...over achiever that I sometimes am, I'm doing both in 2 different fabric ways. Tuesday's purchase started me on my 2017 tally...
    Sounds like fun, like to see the progress as you go along.

Quote Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
    I'm like Krystyna, I want to use my stash before I die. I have been working on the stash and my scraps for 2 years now, lots of quilts and still a lot to go. I have only purchased material for 2 king backs in this 2 years. Now I gasp when I see the current fabric prices. I will be continuing this year. Drawers are slowly becoming possible to close! Mystery quilts sure help use it up. Good luck to all! Happy New Year!
    I too am working on my stash only, will keep the buying down to next to nothing. I don't want to purchase backing even, so thought I would make two tops, perhaps the same pattern in different colors, reversible quilt and that way won't need to purchase backing and will downsize my stash. Will have to do some kind of overall quilting on that. Nice to see so many starting to join in.

I've been doing this for over a year. The fabric I had accumulated began to make me anxious, so now I buy only if I have to have backing or for a special color or project, and always shop my Billy bookcase (stash holder) store first.

Blog Entries
    I am back in as well. Just got an email from the LQS and they are having a year-end sale. I will try to be strong.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I'm in, for the first time!

I started on the UFO Challenge last year, and it was such a great motivator, that I decided I would do the Fabric Moratorium this year -in addition to the 2017 UFO Challenge, which hasn't been created yet.
    Leta in Upstate SC

I'm in again this year and will endeavour to do a better job posting. I was pleased with my progress in 2016 -- only two major fabric purchases -- one when Hancock's closed down and I used my birthday exemption early. The next when JoAnn's opened and I got two $25.00 gift cards by attending the first two days grand opening.

My goal for 2017 is to only use from my stash. If it's not there, then I don't make that particular quilt. Even if I sewed a quilt top a week, I don't think I could use my stash before I die unless I live to be 100. So no more fabric purchases for me before December 2017. If I need batting or thread, I will purchase that, but no fabric.

guess what just happened while I was reading everyone's posts?

a drop down ad for Craftsy's year end sale on supplies appeared and covered up The posts written by Leta and Bellfrybat....so was that a sign that I should hurry up and buy a ton of fabric before the 2017 moratorium officially starts?

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

I'm in again this year. Currently I'm working on mock cathedral window denim quilts. The jeans were all donated or what I had stored. The 4" batting squares are leftovers from other projects and the 4 1/2" fabric squares are from my stash. So far I have 5 quilts done. Just finished quilt # 5. Quilt #6 is half done. Both of them have been worked on since Christmas. I actually emptied one fabric drawer last year making scrap quilts for the family.

I am trying to do this as well. If I bought fabric, it has been mainly for QOV. So I am going to do this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    guess what just happened while I was reading everyone's posts?

a drop down ad for Craftsy's year end sale on supplies appeared and covered up The posts written by Leta and Bellfrybat....so was that a sign that I should hurry up and buy a ton of fabric before the 2017 moratorium officially starts?

Rob
    YES!!
    LOL! A friend of mine hosts a Judy Niemeyer retreat every year in May (WITH a certified JN teacher!!), and I decided that rather than having to give myself a brain cramp trying to find 16 different fabrics for the original Amazon Star pattern that I've had languishing for 10 years or so, I bought her "Summer Solstice" kit, at over 1/2 price off!!
    And I bought another kit too that was even MORE off...
    yeah, since I wasn't "on the wagon" officially yet, I gave myself permission to buy these... but that will be all, unless it's for backing.
    Leta in Upstate SC

I'm in too. I've been trying to do this for some time, but I'm weak! I love to buy fabric! There's no way I can use all that I have in this lifetime, but I'll give it my best shot. Thanks for the motivation!

Yes, I'm in. I recently bought partial bolts of Kona solid white, cream, and black so there's plenty for background and sashings. I have tons of scraps and have cut and organized using Bonnie Hunter's system. Several quilts worth are assembled in boxes waiting their turn at the machine. Starting January 1 I'll keep track of fabric in/out. I really need to end this year way down in the fabric stash. Of course, I'm going to the Sewing and Quilt Expo in Cleveland in March which will test my resolve. Looking forward to the UFO challenge too.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    I've been a fabric moratorium for a few years now. Now I have to go on a scrap moratorium. People give me their scraps and I can't say no. The last four or five quilts I have made have been entirely from my scraps and stash. I bought new for the two Stack 'n' Whacks, but the only other new stuff I bought mostly came from JoAnn's left-over bin at half price. I buy every piece of Kona black I see there. Usually when I want black, it will be for sashing or background, and lots of small pieces works fine.
    But my scraps are the things I have to use more of. I have lots of ideas.
    Oh I know what you mean about donated scraps..they are fun to get as often they aren't what I would buy...and if they are they expand my variety...oh and I was a one room school student...best start to my educational journey...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Page 1 of 32 1 2 11 ... LastLast