2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-21-2017, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

OMG, Martina! How wonderful. The LQS near me has 2 of them and I drool over them every time I go in. And you can store bins full of fabric underneath ;-). We want photos after you set it up!
Rob: well, I'm sure that many people would say that the Innovas are innovative! Small or on-screen keyboards drive me nuts so I don't use my tablet to post. Fortunately, my browser just underlines words it thinks are misspelled. Unfortunately, it's a real-time spell check, so it vastly slows everything down. I usually type my response into a simple text editor app, then cut & paste it into the board.
Meanwhile, our bird feeders are on the deck and this is who is under it. It's about half the flock, the rest are in the woods. In mid winter, they will get really hungry and fly up to the feeders. Guess they don't have a calendar & haven't thought about the day after tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails turkeys.jpg  
Old 11-21-2017, 06:54 AM

I have turkeys, too. Love having them for they eat lots of bugs.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

The turkeys are brazen, aren't they? Once in a while they will come up into our yard, too, but the 2 dogs chase them away. I haven't seen them lately, but often they are in the hayfield just east of our farmstead. Guess they are having a hard time finding bugs this time of the year!

Martina...enjoy your new toy!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:33 AM

I was doing so well until yesterday. I went to my LQS for BOM kit. I found out if we take in our quilt top, we get 20% off for backing fabric. Plus my quild discount = 10%, totaled 30% off. So I bought 2.5 yards of 118" (if I remember correctly) for $12 a yard starting price. I then bought a Christmas nativity kit and 2" mesh to make the process easier. The I bought 5 yards of material to make a dinosaure quilt. I'm not sure if it will be for 2 small children or 1 gift for my GN. I think I did pretty good on my goods. I still haven't used my birthday exemption yet. I think I will use that in January. LOL
Old 11-21-2017, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Thanks y'all. I am going to replace the table I currently have in my sewing room with the new station. For now, I have to clean up my room - too much STUFF laying around.

Right now I am debating whether I should just go to Joann tonight and bypass the madness of their Thanksgiving sale. It is usually pandemonium in there. My BFF's daughter is coming home for a visit from Spain and she will have a baby shower. I was going to make a quick receiving blanket and some burp cloths but I have no flannel. So that's a legit purchase I have to make. Do I really care if I save a few pennies vs. saving time?

Those turkeys are pretty daring - coming to the house this close to what's to come. But they do look a little lean and gamy.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Rob: well, I'm sure that many people would say that the Innovas are innovative! Small or on-screen keyboards drive me nuts so I don't use my tablet to post. Fortunately, my browser just underlines words it thinks are misspelled. Unfortunately, it's a real-time spell check, so it vastly slows everything down. I usually type my response into a simple text editor app, then cut & paste it into the board.!

On the tablet thing- there used to be a way to turn it off, but I haven’t figured out how to do that with this new update. Sometimes it gets so frustrating that I just give up on replying. At least until I get to my laptop which usually stays in my studio.

Clearly your turkeys have forgotten to check their calendars LOL

Rob
Old 11-23-2017, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the states! Today is the 'official' last day of the moratorium, but I know you will tailor your end-of-the-year purchases to fit your stash. Let us know about any fabulous black Friday bargains! I think I'm going to get a Kindle.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

Happy Thanksgiving to the US contingent and Happy Thursday to the others. I actually went to Joann's yesterday to pick up some flannel for the burp cloths and receiving blankets for my friend's daughter. She'll be here next week and the baby shower is next Saturday. There wasn't any baby-appropriate flannel in my stash so I braved the masses. Actually it wasn't too bad at all. I got the flannel for 70% off plus a 25% off the total purchase. The good news is I wasn't even tempted to look at any other fabric and only got what I NEEDED.

Next year I do need to do even better so I am looking forward to the 2018 moratorium.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
OMG, Martina! How wonderful. The LQS near me has 2 of them and I drool over them every time I go in. And you can store bins full of fabric underneath ;-). We want photos after you set it up!
Rob: well, I'm sure that many people would say that the Innovas are innovative! Small or on-screen keyboards drive me nuts so I don't use my tablet to post. Fortunately, my browser just underlines words it thinks are misspelled. Unfortunately, it's a real-time spell check, so it vastly slows everything down. I usually type my response into a simple text editor app, then cut & paste it into the board.
Meanwhile, our bird feeders are on the deck and this is who is under it. It's about half the flock, the rest are in the woods. In mid winter, they will get really hungry and fly up to the feeders. Guess they don't have a calendar & haven't thought about the day after tomorrow!
I agree with Madquilter, pardon the turkeys this year. You have such a lovely view and what pretty turkeys.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:57 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
was trying to spell Innova sit down quilter, not “ Innovative”. Ever since the last update, my IPad changes the words I type into other words constantly and If I don’t carefully proofread everything then all kinds of wrong words end up in my replies. Sometimes I have to retype a word 2 or 3 Times to get it to stop changing it to something else- anyone else having this problem???? Better yet, anyone else have a solution?

Rob
Rob, go to Settings, under General look for Keyboard. Turn Autocorrect off. You can leave Spellcheck on if you wish.