2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-30-2017, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

Do we have a 2018 Moratorium Page started?
Old 12-30-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I was absolutely a baddddd girl. I bought lots of fabric. I bought 100 yards of neutral off Ebay, but at least I have plenty of it for BHMQ. Then when I sold a quilt, they wanted the border in something I didn't have enough of. so more purchases. I've tried to use up my tub of Fresh Lilacs, and I have 5 quilts, I think. This last one has made a good dent in it. I'll be joining in again next year.

Sunrise450: I bought the original pattern and all the fabric from Crafttown which is in Pekin, IN. It is Maywood by Debbie Beaves. Its' way out of print by now, but you can still find some on shelves and hidden away on Etsy.
Thanks for your reply. I found what I think is the pattern or at least close to it. I have the fabric to make it and the back and batting so I am good to go.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:00 PM

My goal next year is to keep track of my buying yardage verses my stash/scrap yardage. This year I just pulled and didn't keep tabs. My other goal is to buy only as a need not a want.

Now I'm going to look at my box of fabric I bought last week, that came in the mail today. Yea!!! I think most of it is layer cakes for the next years BD swap and excess fabric for scrap quilts. I'm also thinking of using some of this for my 365 day challenge quilt I plan to start next year. I have been printing the daily patterns and next week will get them put into a 2 books for easy access. Another project that will take over a year to make. By the time I make this The majority of fabric will come out of stash or scraps. I do need to buy 10 yards of backing fabric for the project. I'm still undecided about this though. Oh well, I still have time to decide. Back to watching Harry Potter marathon and BHMQ and VQW.

Happy New Year everyone!!!!!
Old 12-30-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Today was a victory. The LQS is having a sale. I drove right by it 4x. Celebration!!!!!!
Good for you!!
I did very good as well - DD needed to go to Hobby Lobby, and I never even went near the fabrics - I only bought some containers, for organizing my soon-to-be-finished-in-2018-UFO's.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:26 PM

Leta - I'm with you on the goals. I want to finish at least 12 UFOs and only use stash unless absolutely necessary. My problem is I've done with the easy UFOs. The ones left will tax me as they are either complicated patterns or only some of the blocks cut but not sewn.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Leta - I'm with you on the goals. I want to finish at least 12 UFOs and only use stash unless absolutely necessary. My problem is I've done with the easy UFOs. The ones left will tax me as they are either complicated patterns or only some of the blocks cut but not sewn.
Oh sheesh! That reminds me of two UFO'S that are probably hiding in the closet - one is yellow and blue stars, the other is a QID Underground Railroad. Both have some cutting done, the stars has some piecing done. And like you said, they won't be a quick or easy finish.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 PM

Oh, so sorry, Leta. But at least we will be in good company together!
Old 12-30-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Oh, so sorry, Leta. But at least we will be in good company together!
LOL, that's good to know that I'm not in this mess alone!

My current UFO that I'm working on is ANCIENT - a Dresden plate that I cut by hand (no AccuQuilt GO back then!!) and some of the fabrics are scraps from my maternity dresses... and my daughter is 33 now, so that tells you this is well over 2 decades in the making! I had gotten frustrated with the applique process and gave up on it - and 30 years later, I still stink at applique! However, I decided to get this one out of my hair. In the process, I THINK I've found a solution that works for me. I'm joining the blocks together now, so that should give me a January finish.

Pending are a Double Wedding ring (yeah, that one won't get done this year!!), a Log cabin with star corners (that has some pretty awful instructions, hence the UFO status), a set of the Moda Bake Shop patterns that came out every month or so (year before last, maybe?), last year's BHMQ, a stack of FREE block sets from a shop hop several years ago (the shop is no longer in business now), a kit of "wonky animals" that I orignally loved, but the more I looked at it, the more I disliked it, the Quilt-in-a-Day Underground Railroad (mostly cut out, but no piecing done), and several others.

So, as you can see, none of these are going to be quick.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:04 PM

Lately I've had the purging bug..... I hate cleaning, so this is quite rare. My desk is 90% there, only took 2 weeks.
Also purged a "pictures for inspiration" box, 1 to go.
Maybe now I'll be motivated enough to get a difficult UFO finished.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:16 AM

We had everyone for Christmas so that meant I had to hide a lot in my sewing room. But now, a week later, it is starting to revert back to the old mess. When I hide stuff, then I can't find it!