2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-26-2017, 03:40 PM

I need your help with my fabriholic addiction. So I'm in for next year.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

My colleague came to work today and he told me that he was blown away by the gift. He is bit sarcastic so when he saw the pillow case, he made a smart-alec response. My friend who delivered the quilt told him to take a look at "the pillow stuffing." Apparently he was quite surprised. He told me that the blankets they give out at the infusion center are barely doing the job of keeping him warm. Now he will be the envy of all the other patients when he has his quilt to keep him comfortable. Makes me happy.

Now to get my sorry butt to the chiropractor. I threw my hip out of whack and the pain is substantial. Hope Dr. L can put humpty-dumpty back together again.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:08 AM
Administrator

the 2018 thread will be opened up on 1 Jan, at which time i will close this one.

i think i did pretty well, myself, this year.
i don't remember buying anything "just because.
that could mean i was successful in limiting purchases to only what i needed to "fill in the blanks" of a stash projext.

of course, it could also mean that i have just mentally blocked any memory of breaking the moratorium.

i love denial, don't you?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Denial is a river in Egypt, Patrice. So you are in good company. Same goes for you, Blue Bell. We need all the support we can get. I didn't do as well as I had hoped this year but better than years past. And I finished at least 4 UFOs. This has been a tough year on many levels. Here's hoping for 2018 to be better!
Old 12-29-2017, 01:32 PM

Battle Axe -- lovely quilt. I started Autumn Evenings but only did the first two blocks but downloaded the rest of the series. So many quilt patterns to finish and so little time!

I just tallied up my purchases and fabric usage, and thanks to the support of this group, I only purchased 31 yards this year including the bolt of muslin I got for less than $5.00. That sounds like a lot, but I used 157 yards, for a net loss of 146 yards. If I keep this up, my stash will be depleted in less than 10 years! Yeah, like that will happen.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:11 PM

I am so proud of myself. I will be using fabric from my stash for the backing but will add 6 inch blocks down the center to make the backing wide enough, using leftovers from the 1930's jelly roll, used to make the top.

Like you, Madquilter, I didn't do well this year, but certainly better than years past. I can't pass up Civil War and 1930's fat quarters.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:48 PM

Bellfrybat, I have only been saving the instructions for the Autumn Evenings BOM, as I REALLY want to knock out some more UFO'S before I start anything new.
And Bluebell, I too have a weakness for reproduction fabrics. I'm contemplating using some of my 30's FQ's in some kind of scrappy pattern.

I looked back at my purchases this year, and I think I didn't do too badly. I spent a good bit at Foust, but it was nearly all extra wide backing fabric... except for three bolts of Civil War repro fabrics. I also bought 3 kits from a guild member (again, Civil War repro's) and Mass Drop had a kit (modern) with rulers package that was half price.
So, actually not too bad, since that was spread across the whole year.

Goals for next year - finish at least 12 UFO'S (one for each month) and USE MY STASH!!!
Old 12-29-2017, 07:03 PM

I was absolutely a baddddd girl. I bought lots of fabric. I bought 100 yards of neutral off Ebay, but at least I have plenty of it for BHMQ. Then when I sold a quilt, they wanted the border in something I didn't have enough of. so more purchases. I've tried to use up my tub of Fresh Lilacs, and I have 5 quilts, I think. This last one has made a good dent in it. I'll be joining in again next year.

Sunrise450: I bought the original pattern and all the fabric from Crafttown which is in Pekin, IN. It is Maywood by Debbie Beaves. Its' way out of print by now, but you can still find some on shelves and hidden away on Etsy.

Last edited by Battle Axe; 12-29-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:39 PM

Today was a victory. The LQS is having a sale. I drove right by it 4x. Celebration!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2017, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

I am ready for 2018 to arrive. 2017 was pretty rough.
im hoping to spend the last couple days of the year cleaning, organizing, doing some inventory in my sewing room. I think I’m going to work on a lot of scrappy projects in the new year. I do have a commission I need to start soon which I will have to buy for- but the customer is paying for that ( does that count?)
i will enjoy seeing what I have to work with & getting the creative juices flowing again. I’m going to try to keep up with one year long group project this year ( scrappy) and work on ufos. So my goals are laid out. Happy New Years everyone. Here’s to a creative, productive, stress- less year.