2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Hi Leta, sorry for your sad news.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:54 AM

Leta, So sorry to hear of your bad news. Glad to hear your quilting is doing so well. Happy sewing/quilting!
Old 12-20-2017, 08:31 AM

I only have 11 days to buy all of the fabric I think I need to fill my stash. Okay, fabric I want to fill my stash. I need some flat cakes for a swap next year (3-4). I plan to cut them into 2.5" squares and the left over stripes will become scrape quilt projects or other projects. Then I want to buy fabric for this years, BOM from a site about 12 yards for this project.

The good news, I only ended up buying background fabric for BHMQ = 6 yards (1/2 yard for miss cutting or over cutting or next years project). The other fabric came from my stash = about 10 yards). I'm also making a 40" square child's quilt to give away to charity all from stash or scraps. I'll post pics later.

Merry Christmas, or your version of this holiday to all of you!!! I hope it is what you envisioned and very safe. Take care and happy sewing and quilting.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:18 AM

Leta, I am so sorry to read that Cowboy passed.

((((((Hugs))))))

Rob
Old 12-22-2017, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

I was pretty ( quiet) here through the year but did good with my moratorium. I shopped my stash, managed many projects with no outside purchases. I bought wide backings, batting and thread. When we went on vacation my hubby always searches- finds quilt shops for me to visit so I budgeted & saved up for that & took $300 we found some neat places and I took advantage of some good sales, prices and one was having sidewalk sales and a shop hop- I spent $160 at that one ! I think I had 2 commissions I had to buy fabric for. So, I made a dent. I actually spent a weekend beginning of November just sorting/ folding/ organizing and was amazed that it all fits on the shelves now, and I have very little ( yardage ) left, mostly smaller pieces. My little sewing group is working on Scrappy projects this winter which is perfect for me. I believe 2018 will be a year of scrap quilts. I will continue the moratorium another year and see how many projects I can make using all those smaller pieces I can put to use, plus the actual ( scrap baskets) are overflowing.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words. It's so hard!! I miss that little fellow so terribly!!

<sigh>
I'm not really in a quilting mood... and not much of Christmas mood either, come to that. However, I piddled around in my sewing room, determined not to start anything new, not really wanting to work on a UFO, and saw my paint chips for the BHMQ on my table. Checked the fabric requirements, and thinking I don't have enough of Any of those colors, but decided to dig in my stash anyway. Lo and behold, I have a rose that will substitute well for the coral/peach, and my green is not the same as Bonnie's, but the tint difference goes perfectly with what I have. And I have a bolt of brown... that I thought was black. And I Always have plenty of neutrals.

So, still didn't spend anything new, even though my On Ringo Lake will not be at all scrappy.
Not starting my cutting yet (I still owe myself another UFO before I can make a new UFO ) but it's good to know that it's all there, ready whenever I am.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-25-2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 12-23-2017, 05:39 AM

Leta- Glad to hear you’ll be joining us on the BH. This is the first year I’ve actually done it, rather than just reading the thread here on QB. Being someone who does not usually enjoy following written directions (well, ok, Any directions) I have had some moments of frustration, but am enjoying the camaraderie... and thanks to a generous infusion of blue scraps from Janequilter, I have not purchased any fabric for it....though I may end up paint/dying some white on white fabric that I have a lot of to give my browns a lttle more variety. This has certainly helped whittle down my stash- and pointed up some major holes in my stash (browns and blues) to keep in mind should I fall off the wagon in the coming year
Old 12-23-2017, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Leta...sorry about your little companion..it's tough losing our pets.

Here's wishing all of you continued success in your fabric management practices. May there always be just enough fabric throughout the coming year.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:59 PM

Question: Will you all allow me join the Fabric Moratorium in 2018? I succumbed several times this year. I promise that I will try to do better next year.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

Of course Blue Bell you can!
Has anyone stepped forward to start the new thread for 2018?