2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-02-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I had a narrow miss yesterday. I'm working on the Bonnie Hunter mystery and the yellow I picked out was just too bright. I didn't think I had anything that would work, but this morning went by the storage unit where I keep most of my fabric and lo and behold I found a piece that will work perfectly. It pays to shop one's own stash even when you are convinced you don't have a particular colour in stock. The funny thing is I have no memory whatsoever of purchasing this particular piece. But there it was.
I too had a narrow miss - also with the BH Mystery... I thought I didn't have enough of the greens, and was thinking about just "running down to the LQS"... but was also thinking how I didn't want to go out in this gloomy weather, and also wondering if my LQS was even open today (it being Monday, and the day after New Year's). I decided to dig into a bag of scraps/stash and lo and behold, there was some green... just the right shade/value, and a goodly amount of it. I had forgotten that I had that chunk of fabric. Now, keeping my fingers crossed that the lavenders last long enough to get through this.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:39 PM

Count me in guys.... Part of my New Years resolution is st shop from stash rather than stores!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 01-02-2017, 07:45 PM

I'm in again! Like a few of you, I get scraps donated from a couple of charity groups. I love looking through the scraps but I need to be better about organizing them as soon as they come through my door. Lol! Plus I need to concentrate on using them!

Hopefully, there will not be any huge sales like Hancock Fabrics closing last year.

I am taking a class at a LQS and I paid for 5 yards of backing material(2016 expense.) I will get the fabric on January 24th when it is the first class. It runs once a month for a year and we will learn how to appliqué with different stitches, 'couching', and other techniques. Each month, we pay $10 for fabric that is already cut for that month's lesson. This will be the first time I have taken a class from a LQS. It is a shop that opened a year or so ago and is only 10 miles away. The owners have another shop about 20 miles away so it's nice to see they were able to expand

Connie
Old 01-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

One of the things I got done today was make a kit for a complete quilt from a pattern I put together in EQ. Also wrote cutting instructions for the blocks, setting triangles and squares, as well as three borders..now to put it together.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:09 PM

I vow not to purchase fabric in 2017 and use my humungous stash.

It has been 48 hours and 8 minutes and I have not purchased any fabric in 2017.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Power Poster

Yay, E...., but my LQS hasn't been open the last 48 hours either....have you started on stash yet? I worked on minis today...now that's gonna make a dent in the stash....
Old 01-03-2017, 06:11 AM
Swap Hosts

First quilt top from my stash done. Started January 1st. Finished January 2nd. It will be a "watching tv on the sofa" quilt for my newly retired husband. Two of the fabrics are very special to me. In 2012 we lost our home to Superstorm Sandy and moved into an apartment with essentially nothing. That was soon taken care of with generous donations from QB members - including a gorgeous sewing machine.. My husband was working double shifts and often had to sleep during the day. I whipped up some curtains from quilting cotton to block the light. Now, over four years later, we are in a new home. The curtains were laundered and recycled into this quilt. The colors are much more vibrant and rich than my early morning photo. I guess I'll move this onto the UFO thread when it's done - hopefully today!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564859[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mosaic-quilt-1.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Lots of memories tied up in your flimsy, Krystyna. It will be a memory of things past and present...
Old 01-03-2017, 08:16 AM

Krystina, that's a very pretty flimsy! And fast too! So glad you are settled in your new home.

I was looking through a Nancy's Notions catalog and then asked myself why I was bothering to look. After all, it's not as if I need anything. So pleased to find myself actually thinking and not just buying.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:00 AM

I tried to do this last year and it didn't work for me then. Well, here I am trying it again. I see a lot of ufo's finished and many scrap quilts. There are others that I want to make...bags, table runners, pot holders etc. I just have to stay away from JoAnns and local quilt shops!
I only belong to one swap which I highly recommend and that is the 2 1/2" birthday swap.