2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-31-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wrylymax View Post
Yes, I'm in. I recently bought partial bolts of Kona solid white, cream, and black so there's plenty for background and sashings. I have tons of scraps and have cut and organized using Bonnie Hunter's system. Several quilts worth are assembled in boxes waiting their turn at the machine. Starting January 1 I'll keep track of fabric in/out. I really need to end this year way down in the fabric stash. Of course, I'm going to the Sewing and Quilt Expo in Cleveland in March which will test my resolve. Looking forward to the UFO challenge too.

i love the idea of in and out! I am hopeless when it comes to buying fabric...it IS an addiction. But maybe if I work on more out than in.....it will speed up my outs!
Your plan Krystina is a great plan....I've already resigned myself to the fact I have enough fabric for 3 lifetimes if I started at age 20 and pumped them out till I was 100. Sigh...and yet I continue to buy! Maybe someone here wants to be my sponsor, lol.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I called the hubs after work to tell him that I was thinking of going to the LQS and I needed him to talk me off the ledge. His answer: But honey, that means you'd be right by my office and we could go have dinner at the Thai place. Needless to say - I went and saved $175 on their year-end sale. They had a selection perfect for backings and if you bought 5 yards, it was 75% off. Now to find space......
Oh, dinner was nice too.
Thanks for the laugh Martina.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:15 AM

I'm in again for 2017!! I've tried the past several years, but fall off regularly. (Working at the LQS doesn't help! LOL!) I've started keeping track of ins and out for a couple years, but have gotten discouraged after a buying spree. I have as much in my stash as the best of you (maybe more) keeping me sewing for at least 2 lifetimes. Hopefully, you will be a greater influence on me this coming year. Here's to more fabric out than in!!

Linda in Missouri
Old 12-31-2016, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Linda, I find that this group has a positive impact on my fabric purchases (and thread and gadgets). I have not made any real "impulse" buys in a while. Even the items I got yesterday were large pieces for backing. Before, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up "a yard of this and 3 yards of that, just because."
Old 12-31-2016, 02:10 PM

Count me in! I am not convinced I will do a great job, but I do need to work on going through my stash first. I recently inherited a fairly decent stash, so I have fabric that I don't even know I have. So I will try not to purchase fabric. Unless I am traveling. I can't travel without buying fabric.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
Unless I am traveling. I can't travel without buying fabric.
It's called the "support the local economy clause" - I do the same.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Instead of a Moratorium this should be renamed a Wise and Smart buying group...yes still purchasing fabric but using it for designated purchases...which many of us are doing...like Martina, this has helped me control my buying...Happy New Year everyone..
Old 12-31-2016, 04:50 PM

I am planning to start projects I already have fabric for. I also have unsubscribed to 90% of the emails I get that tempt me to buy more stuff.....Not this site because I like to hear what others are doing....except the word games. I will keep the few magazines I currently subscribe to.

In other words, I'm planing to do more quilting and less reading about quilting......sounds pretty noble, I'll be honest how it goes....
Old 12-31-2016, 07:27 PM

I certainly plan to join this year. I shot most of my fabric budget getting dies for the GO BIG DH bought me for Christmas. Now I just have to figure out what to cut and what to do with what I cut (LOL) since my stash will outlast me.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:59 PM

I'm in--thanks for the impetus.