2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-30-2016, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I am definitely continuing another year. I did pretty good in 2016, just buying backings for the most part, although the two Christmas quilts I did have to buy a few fabrics for. All in all ( even though my shelves don't show it) I used ALot of my stash ) I still have a long way to go and the pieces I have are getting smaller & smaller- this year may well be a year of scrap quilts. I still have Way Too Many UFOs that need to be finished too. Purging year on my agenda. I need to include books and patterns in my moratorium.
FOCUS is my word of the year!
Heres to a fun filled, productive, creative new year!
Old 12-30-2016, 05:13 AM

I'm in! I have so many beautiful prints in my stash that I am anxious to use. I shouldn't have to purchase any prints, but maybe an occasional solid or blender to go with them. If I use up my stash, I won't feel guilty taking advantage of the Black Friday sales in 2017! Thanks for starting this thread!
Old 12-30-2016, 05:24 AM

Yep, sounds like a great idea! I have fabric for about 8 projects, backing not included. Yet, every time I walk into the quilt store I walk out with 3 or 4 yards more. So for 2017, I'm going to do the Mickey triple Irish Chain, the fancy forest and the temperature quilt without buying another piece of fabric until they are completed. The temperature quilt will help me use the 50 some charm packs I have purchased from MSQC. I'm going cold turkey and unsubscribing to the daily deals. I'm going to stay out out of the quilt store. I guess it will be my own form of rehab.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:23 AM

Barbara Brackman's blog from yesterday has a different perspective: http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/...-new-year.html
Old 12-30-2016, 06:31 AM

Yes! I also have been on my own moratorium( self-imposed & job loss related) but I can't be sad about it, as I also will have to live to be 100 to use up my stash-fabric & books are my downfall.
berryberry, may I ask what is a temperature quilt? It sounds interesting.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Rob & Martina, I think that fabric purchased in 2016, but delivered in 2017 doesn't count.
Also, for newer posters to this thread: I've been 'hostessing' a moratorium for the last 5 years. If you look at the previous ones, you can see that purveyors of fabric, both online and brick & mortar, don't have much to fear from us! We're still buying fabric, but fabric that we Need and not just Want! Well, mostly...
Old 12-30-2016, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

I woke up this morning and took a moment to plan my day. Can I help it if "should really stop by the LQS" thoughts show up? So I will make sure to support the local quilting economy one last time in 2016.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:38 PM

My fabric buying for 2017 is on hold too. We are getting a bathroom makeover with a shower to replace the tub. No more tub to carefully wash those special quilts! So I am going to shop my stash and have fun with all the bought but unused fabric which has been "languishing" in my closets for who knows how long. I see a Trip Around the World, several Cathedral Cat Quilts, a Gravity Quilt, and a couple of Medallion Quilts in my future. I may as well piece the backs OH Dear! Now I suppose I will have to Quilt them at home too. Best of fun with this challenge for 2017 everyone.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:55 PM

I am in again this year. I have been trying to mostly shop in my stash for a couple of years. My biggest challenge is finding blenders in my stash. I have been doing pretty well. I do fall off of the wagon from time to time. I just recently bought my first quilt back in years. I have been piecing them, that uses up a lot of fabric I had to purchase a back because I made a quilt to use up all of my Civil War fabric and I have nothing that would work for a back. One of the LQS is closing and I got the fabric for 70%off. I had a really hard time restraining myself from buying lots of fabric as she had a lot of batiks still left. I only bought one 7 yard piece of batik that matches almost anything.
I am pretty sure I could sew nonstop until long after I die on what I have. I might have to come back as a ghost and continue to sew.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:22 PM

Count me in. I have at least six quilts I could make with what I have on hand. That said, my stash is woefully short in the yellows and purples, so if I need those, I'm saying right now I'll be buying some. But I'm going to make a list of quilts to make this coming year that will be heavy on colors I DO have and light on the ones I don't .

I also like the idea of keeping track of fabric coming in and going out. Not sure I've got the perseverance for that, but it sounds like a fun sort of accounting.