2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

Martina, we all are so looking forward to that photo. Living vicariously thru you!
Old 11-29-2017, 02:46 PM

Martina, Just think you have 1-2 months to organize your fabric before the next fabric moratorium starts. I do love hearing your stories and seeing pics of what you buy. Enjoy your new table and fabric. (I know I enjoy my fabric and quilting things).
Old 11-29-2017, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Great minds thinking alike! I spent a couple of hours early this morning stripping. I use a QuiltCut 2 and the cutting bar is 3", so I stripped FQs and small yardage pieces into 3" strips. The nice thing about the QC2 is I can easily cut 8 layers, so I went through one tote really fast. Only 5 totes left to go, then I'll look at the 1 yard pieces. Now I have to figure out how to store them so they don't get all wrinkled again. My iron had a real workout and she's tired.

I found this Strip Twist pattern on Quiltville, so think I'm going to start with it using 3" instead of 2-1/2" strips.
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/strip-twist.html. I also like the 3 Dudes quilt from MSQC, but not the small blocks, so I think I'll try it with 6 strips instead of the 4 she uses.
oh now, thanks for telling us about those two patterns.
They seem to end up being very similar, I think Bonnie's blocks will come out a little larger.

And I was thinking, what if you do the strip tube (like what's needed for bargello quilts?) and make your cuts and rotate by one strip for each cut? then you wouldn't have any two blocks the same, I'm thinking.
I'm probably going to do Bonnie's Strip Twist... there's a Lot of movement in that quilt, and if I use 1 1/2 jelly rolls... or use "homemade" jelly rolls, it will just be a lot bigger.

BUT... I'm not going to do that until I get some of my UFO's done. I'm trying to Finish UFO's, not Start them, LOL!
BelfryBat, post some pics, ASAP when you use up those strips!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-05-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

That's what I've been calling my craft: Starting UFOs.

Tonight I will finish a couple of baby things: Receiving blanket and burp cloths.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
That's what I've been calling my craft: Starting UFOs.

Tonight I will finish a couple of baby things: Receiving blanket and burp cloths.
I haven't posted lately on the UFO board, because (tears) I haven't finished anything lately.
I'm hoping to have the "jelly roll diamonds" quilt done over the weekend, and I want to ponder which UFO should come next.
I'm still waiting for my black backing for my Lone Star to come in - hopefully by the weekend, but if not, no big deal. That will be a UFO finish, whenever I get it done.

Now all those jelly rolls are calling my name... and I PROMISED myself not to start anything else until I finish at least a couple of UFO's. The JR Diamonds will be a nice finish, I do believe.

I'm saving all the BOW posts... and signed up for the new one that starts after the first of the year. If our first motto is "you can never have too much fabric" and our second motto is "you can never have too much thread" then obviously our third motto is "you can never have too many patterns".

Am I right?
Old 11-30-2017, 07:43 AM

If our first motto is "you can never have too much fabric" and our second motto is "you can never have too much thread" then obviously our third motto is "you can never have too many patterns".
Am I right?[/QUOTE]

I agree, it works for me. LOL
Old 11-30-2017, 09:10 AM

I've been away for a while, working on other crafts. Last night, I pulled out a thrifted peacock panel I've had for a while, and started pulling stash for a crazy border. What fun! I have always tried to use my stash first! For me, this is the essence of quilting. Focusing on color theory or use of a color wheel makes choosing fabrics from my stash work!
Old 11-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
That's what I've been calling my craft: Starting UFOs...
My niece says my hobby is buying craft supplies (this would include fabric)!
Old 11-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nickylsf View Post
I've been away for a while, working on other crafts. Last night, I pulled out a thrifted peacock panel I've had for a while, and started pulling stash for a crazy border. What fun! I have always tried to use my stash first! For me, this is the essence of quilting. Focusing on color theory or use of a color wheel makes choosing fabrics from my stash work!
I wish more of us would have the confidence to do just this! Choosing colors is one of the best parts of quilting for me!
Old 12-03-2017, 10:51 AM

Just posted on the UFO board, but this counts as using up some stash too, as I used 4 yards of stash for the backing. The pic is just the flimsy, but it's loaded on my frame, and I hope to get this finished by the end of the day today. Since this is So Bright and busy, I'm just doing a panto... fast, simple, and then that much faster to Finished!!
Attached Thumbnails jelly-roll-diamonds-1.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-05-2017 at 02:19 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS