2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-27-2017, 07:04 AM

Rob - sounds like you made a good decision on the extension table. And you now have a dedicated FMQ machine. Neat.
I guess the moratorium is officially over for this year, but I'm going to continue. As I said in an earlier post, I really don't need any more fabric for a long time. So my committment for the rest of this year and next is to buy only what I need to finish a quilt. Shop stash first then fill in as needed which shouldn't be very often. One big mistake I made when first building my stash was to buy 1 - 2 yard lengths. It's rare I find a quilt pattern needing less than 2 yards of any one fabric. And as my fabric tastes have changed I've ended up with a lot of "what on earth was I thinking" fabric. But I doubt I'm the only one!
Old 11-27-2017, 12:33 PM

No, Belfrybat you weren't the only one. I'm hoping to find patterns for my different fabric types. I finally have most of my fabric in one place and can get to it fairly easy. I still have hours, and hours of sorting, but I can see progress. yea!!!! Now I have time for quilting.

Well since this thread is over for this year, today I bought 5+ years of background fabric for my BHMQ. I had to do that in different fabric, but they are close enough in color and texture, that it is hard to tell the difference. Just need to wash fabric and start my project. Yes I'm a happy camper.

Last edited by happylab; 11-27-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Belfrybat, Bonnie Hunter says that if you think a piece of fabric is ugly, you just haven't cut it small enough yet! This would probably apply to your What Was I Thinking fabric, and yes, I have a ton of those. I've only been quilting for 7 years and when I first started, I was buying 1 yard of everything I saw. Now I'm concentrating on scrap quilts, but without using scraps!
Old 11-27-2017, 05:47 PM

Rob, the extension table sounds like it will get plenty of use... and just think, you DIDN'T buy fabric!!

Belfry Bat, like PaperPrincess says, cut it smaller. Or even just take all those 2 yd fabrics, stack them together and cut into 2 1/2 strips, and roll them up into a "homemade jellyroll"... then find a jellyroll pattern, and voila!! You've used your stash!!

And like others have said, even though this year's moratorium is over, I'm going to continue, as it doesn't really look like I've made a dent in my stash or my UFO's... even though I actually have.

Speaking of UFO's and stash, I did indeed manage to get a lot of work done on a UFO, and all it needs are some setting squares (diamonds, actually) to have a flimsy. And that UFO was originally planned to be a queen-sized, but I was so tired of looking at it, it's probably going to be a twin. Now, however, there are TWO additional jelly-rolls from that original plan. I think I'm going to pull out the dotted fabrics (there's lots of dots in these two JR's), and then do a double jelly roll race. Again, using up stash while I wait for that backing to arrive (probably next week).
Old 11-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

OK, I fell a bit... Went to the Salvation Army. There was a full, shrink wrapped bolt of UV outdoor fabric, in a solid beige color. The sticker price per yard was $22, and the bolt has 8 yards. I paid $6. That's like 97% off. Don't have a specific purpose, but I'm always making stuff for the cottage & boat so I'm sure it will be put to use.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
Rob, the extension table sounds like it will get plenty of use... and just think, you DIDN'T buy fabric!!

Belfry Bat, like PaperPrincess says, cut it smaller. Or even just take all those 2 yd fabrics, stack them together and cut into 2 1/2 strips, and roll them up into a "homemade jellyroll"... then find a jellyroll pattern, and voila!! You've used your stash!!

And like others have said, even though this year's moratorium is over, I'm going to continue, as it doesn't really look like I've made a dent in my stash or my UFO's... even though I actually have.
Great minds thinking alike! I spent a couple of hours early this morning stripping. I use a QuiltCut 2 and the cutting bar is 3", so I stripped FQs and small yardage pieces into 3" strips. The nice thing about the QC2 is I can easily cut 8 layers, so I went through one tote really fast. Only 5 totes left to go, then I'll look at the 1 yard pieces. Now I have to figure out how to store them so they don't get all wrinkled again. My iron had a real workout and she's tired.

I found this Strip Twist pattern on Quiltville, so think I'm going to start with it using 3" instead of 2-1/2" strips.
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/strip-twist.html. I also like the 3 Dudes quilt from MSQC, but not the small blocks, so I think I'll try it with 6 strips instead of the 4 she uses.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:43 PM

Was running low on what project to work on, so started looking through the boxes that house odds and ends. Have been thinking I need to shop for some new PJ's but don't I have fabric I can make them. So found flannel I'd planned for PJ's. cut out one and discovered, I need more fabric. So went to JoAnn's for some temptation. Bought the fabric needed for the PJ's and interfacing for another project. Tryed really hard to talk myself into another flannel, but it just never got tempting enough.....Does this mead fabric doesn't hold the power over me it once did? I'd say, Victory! Left the store with only "needs" to finish other projects. And I certainly have fabric for other projects to last way beyond my lifetime.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-05-2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-29-2017, 07:10 AM

Understand petthefabric. I've found myself feeling like that lately as well. Might have something to do with the piles sitting around (and in the way). If that's the case I think I'll keep them where they are! The upside is I've fallen less from the wagon.
Of course that being said I did hear the siren song from Connecting Threads and purchased two yards of fabric from their glacier park collection a few days ago.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I have to clean my room so I can fit the new table in when it comes. I keep shaking my head at myself for all the overflow bins I have stacked up here and there. Considering this state is After I joined the moratorium, I can only imagine that I would have drowned in fabric if I hadn't joined. Now I need to make order out of chaos. Wish me luck.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-05-2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-29-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I have to clean my room so I can fit the new table in when it comes. I keep shaking my head at myself for all the overflow bins I have stacked up here and there. Considering this state is After I joined the moratorium, I can only imagine that I would have drowned in fabric if I hadn't joined. Now I need to make order out of chaos. Wish me luck.
You can do it! And remember to post pics when the new table is set up!

Rob

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-05-2017 at 02:17 PM.