2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 10-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

SO I took a Kaffe Fassett jelly roll to retreat with me to work on. Of course I didn't have the right color background and bought 3 yards. Welllll, I sort of messed up on my cutting and instead of cut all the pieces for the 56 blocks in the pattern, I made enough for 80 blocks. Decided to go with a 9x9 and made one more. This means that I now needed to buy 3 more yards of background fabric. ....and since it was Kaffe, I decided to get the border fabric ahead of the game. 13 yards (total) later.......

Then we were given a panel to finish for Quilts for Kids - very pastelly and I have NOTHING to work with it. But the FQ bundle in blues and greens and peaches was the perfect color to go with the panel.

Oh the list goes on. I could pretend to be ashamed and hang my head but I think you could all tell by my big grin that I'd be lying. It was a blast (the retreat and the shopping).
Old 10-19-2017, 05:27 AM

THUNK!!!! OUCH!!!! That's the sound of me falling off the wagon, the wagon backing up and running over me. I love blue for Christmas and it has been hard to find the past couple of years. Have you seen the new collection from Connecting Threads called Glacier Peak? Wowza! So, I brought myself a Christmas present. I did show constraint and only purchased 1-1/2 yards each of the two focus fabrics and 1 yard of six supporting colours. Oh, plus a wall hanging kit. But the fabric is gorgeous and other than my birthday exemption, this is the first purchase this year that wasn't to fill in on an existing project. Did I tell you how absolutely fabulous this fabric is?

In my defense, I just finished 5 more UFOs which used up 21 yards from stash. I need to figure up how many yards I've used from stash this year, but I think its close to 75.

Last edited by Belfrybat; 10-19-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Belfry...I think you are doing great! I would be hard pressed to pass the blue Christmas fabric as well. And yes it's hard to find!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:34 AM

I understand Belfry. They are wonderful. We'll see how long I resist them. I guess I still have a birthday exemption. Went to a quilt show and didn't buy any fabric at the beginning of the month. It amazed me a bit that I didn't actually.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:31 PM

Here’s a virtual bandaid and a hand back up on the wagon Belfrybat! I had a similar fall recently when I purchased an entire bolt of muslin so I could start a couple of new projects using some new (to me) techniques I’ve been wanting to try (I didn’t get nearly as good a deal as you did though). Since I really only needed three yards (1 for the two new projects and 2 to make covers for my quilts that are rolled around pool noodles) 15 yards was probably excessive—. But it will get used and it’s very lovely muslin...

Rob
Old 10-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Wow, Belfrybat, to 75 yards used up! I saw your finishes and they are lovely.

My LQS is having a Fat Quarter Friday event. It started the first Friday of September and will end the Friday before Black Friday. They give us a free fat quarter every Friday plus an idea how to use it. Each week, the new project uses as many FQ's that we have already accumulated. So....of course, I have fallen for their selling tactic by buying 'sale only that day fabric', patterns, pattern books, etc. It costs me more to drive the 10 miles than the FQ costs on sale but it is the camaraderie of the sales people that I enjoy.

Connie
Old 10-19-2017, 07:52 PM

Madquilter, glad you had fun at your retreat and you enjoyed your buying. You still make me laugh. (Happy face).

congrates to belfry on your totals so far this year. I値l say you are doing great!!!! Oh I知 debating on buying 4 yards of the connecting threads sale. One of the fabrics would work great for a border for one of my projects. I知 still debating. Can稚 beat the price. Unsure of the color though.

I知 still working on my projects. I did start 3 new projects. Most from stash. I had to buy some background fabric for 2 of the projects. When they are completed I will need to buy backing fabric. I知 trying to play catch up on some project over the next few weeks. Since it痴 going to be birthday month soon, I decided to go on a minor shopping spree then. I can hardly wait. Happy sewing everyone.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:16 PM

Thanks, Rob for the band-aid and hand up. I just pulled out my box of Christmas fabrics and with the ones I just purchased will have enough in both blue/white and red/green to make five or six quilts or many, many wall hangings. If I like the wall hanging kit from CT enough (and I think I will), I'll make several in various colour schemes for Christmas gifts. It's this one: http://www.connectingthreads.com/kit...t__D90891.html. The cost was the same as the fabric without the pattern, so I feel it was a bargain.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:07 PM

I’m going to get a block row by row soon that I ordered last month. plan to start that next year. I’ve been buying rows from this shop for the last 3-4 Year’s and plan to make a wall hanging out of them.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

I am going to another retreat on Thursday. On my way is a LQS that is under new management. Do I stop to check out the changes or do I drive by and save some money? Decisions - decisions. I think the fact that I'm actually asking the question (and meaning it) is a sign of improvement. What do you think?