2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-04-2017, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I wish more of us would have the confidence to do just this! Choosing colors is one of the best parts of quilting for me!
Nothing quite like the ah ha moment when the colors speak to you and each other!

Love those colors Leta. Beautiful!
Old 12-05-2017, 01:03 PM

When does the 2018 challenge get posted?

I was standing in front of my stash yesterday and wondering how it is I can be looking at a well-organized wall of fabric and still not find anything (or enough of anything) for what I have in mind. I'm on a self-imposed moratorium, so I guess I'm going to have to get something else in my mind!
Old 12-05-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
My dilemma, you may ask? Word has gotten out that I take scraps..first it was zip lock bags of little pieces...now I'm getting garbage bags and boxes of beautiful pieces from others leftovers. I have such a hard time saying no. Many of these pieces end up in donation quilts and items for fund raisers. Those donating know that and appreciate that I give away finished goods as well. Today another box to sort..off I go to sort..."I'm just a girl who can't say 'No'!"
Gifted fabric doesn't count, right?

I had someone give me over 200 yards of fabric. My sister tried to talk me out of it (she's not a stasher). I said "are you nuts? Of course I'm taking it!" All really nice stuff from quilt shops all over the country.

The next-best find was the estate sale of a quilter. I walked in the last hour of the sale and there was an entire room full of unsold quilting books and magazines. I bought over 100 pattern books and hundreds of magazines for $40. If there was fabric, it was gone before I got there. And it was a sale I almost didn't go to. I sold most of the magazines and some of the books and more than paid me back the $40.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

One of my colleagues just got diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer. He will start his chemo next week. Looks like I will have to get a quilt finished in a week. Fortunately I have a scrappy top done that is "man-appropriate." His first session is 7 hours. He needs to keep warm and he needs to know that he is loved.

Too many bad things happening. I find it hard to be motivated and happy at the moment.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JulieW8 View Post
When does the 2018 challenge get posted...
I will close this one out the end of the month & request the 2018 be started at the same time. As a mere board member, I can't initiate the thread, so one of the moderators has to do it, but it will be sometime the first week of 2018.
Martina: So sorry to hear about your co worker. Bad news seems to be worse when you get it during the holidays. Hope things work out for him. It's wonderful that you have a top ready to go. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 12-06-2017 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JulieW8 View Post
Gifted fabric doesn't count, right?

I had someone give me over 200 yards of fabric. My sister tried to talk me out of it (she's not a stasher). I said "are you nuts? Of course I'm taking it!" All really nice stuff from quilt shops all over the country.

The next-best find was the estate sale of a quilter. I walked in the last hour of the sale and there was an entire room full of unsold quilting books and magazines. I bought over 100 pattern books and hundreds of magazines for $40. If there was fabric, it was gone before I got there. And it was a sale I almost didn't go to. I sold most of the magazines and some of the books and more than paid me back the $40.
200 yards of fabric....big score and if they are big enough pieces you have lots of backing fabric as well! And a nice ReturnOnInvestment with the books!

Ah Julie...sometimes I think gifted fabric should count! I have a significant amount of purchased fabric, and now the "gifted" items take almost as much space as my yardage! I'm in the middle of moving from one room to another...a smaller room in fact, but will keep much of my yardage in the family room area. Meanwhile I have gotten rid of some garment fabrics...so far 2 large kitchen bags of single knits have made their way out the door for donation. I've even taken a couple of UFO's and decided not to finish them...these items and other regular fabric will go to a cousin's church quilt relief project. Unofficially UFO's checked off my list!

Thanks PPrincess for keeping us going...I so enjoy watch what others do to utilize what we have and how this keeps me motivated.

Last edited by oksewglad; 12-06-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:45 AM

I nearly had a panic attack last night.

For Christmas, we usually all gather at my sister-in-law's house. Well, for various reasons, that's not happening this year, so hubby decided to volunteer OUR house for the get-together. AND he proposed that we "push the longarm over there" to make room for tables and chairs and so on.

Which would mean rearranging where the stash sits (much of it currently resides UNDER the longarm!!)

It motivated me (again!) to look at my stash and UFO's to see what I could knock out (if anything). So, I knocked out a little cosmetic-type bag... but I'm pretty sure I goofed, as the bag doesn't hang quite right.
Oh well, I'll add a strap and give it to my grandbaby for a "purse" - at 18 months, she won't know or care that it's "not quite right".

Then, just a little while ago, the SIL calls and pretty much says that the "big get-together" is "cancelled"... at least for Christmas day.
Whew! Dodged that bullet!!
We'll get together the following weekend instead.
Here's the bag/purse...
Attached Thumbnails bag1-compressed.jpg   bag2-compressed.jpg  
Old 12-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

Wow, Leta, you sure lucked out. I had 46 people for dinner last week. I sew in my dining room, so I have to move a LOT of stuff. I can relate to your concern.
The purse is really cute. Such happy colors!
Meanwhile, I was very tempted yesterday to use a 60% off coupon on Craftsy. Been eyeing a FQ bundle.
but I just deleted the email. Yay!
Old 12-09-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Wow, Leta, you sure lucked out. I had 46 people for dinner last week. I sew in my dining room, so I have to move a LOT of stuff. I can relate to your concern.
The purse is really cute. Such happy colors!
Meanwhile, I was very tempted yesterday to use a 60% off coupon on Craftsy. Been eyeing a FQ bundle.
but I just deleted the email. Yay!
You go, PP!! (imagine trumpets blasting a cheer for you!!)

I've been getting all the "40% off", "60% off", etc emails too. I have gotten to where I don't even open them!! I know I have innumerable (meaning, I'm embarrassed to count them) UFO's, and at least 6 unopened kits (but that's what I know of without DIGGING, so there's probably MORE!), and two bolts of backing, and three bolts of Civil War repro fabrics that were just a STEAL... so, no, I do NOT need to succumb to the siren song of emails from Fabric dot com or Fat Quarter Shop or MSQC or Craftsy or...

You get the picture.

So, now that I don't have to worry about impending family (about 40 or more people), I'm going to go knock out another purse - and hopefully get this one right.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:48 PM

Leta: I’m glad you can take a deep breath and relax.

A few weeks ago, my niece and her husband came to my house so I could take them to the airport the next morning. Not a big deal as long as I vacuumed thoroughly for her husband’s cat allergy except...her uncle (my BIL) and his wife were bringing them to my house so I scrambled to make the house a little more presentable as my BIL’s wife keeps a very neat house. We had a great visit and that’s what counts. (At least that’s what I tell myself. ). Lol!

Here is another quilt I made from 9” squares. I actually cut them down to 8.5” because they were cut unevenly and it was easier to run them through the die cutter. This top will be given to my church quilters to finish for Salvation Army. We are getting close to 6000 quilts donated to them.

Connie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585044[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dadd25fc-e32e-42b6-ba15-0136e7ca34cd.jpeg