2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-14-2017, 05:34 PM

I took my newly finished Jelly Roll Diamonds quilt and the three cosmetic bags to work. Hung the quilt in my cube, with the bags on top.
Two bags sold IMMEDIATELY, with a third "thinking about it". And someone else took pics of the quilt to see if their mom wants it for Christmas. And someone ELSE has asked about a commission quilt (he's a major "Prince" fan, so we're going to see how that goes!!).

Who would've thought that shooting down UFO's and using up stash would result in $$? If I had really been TRYING to sell these, they would've sat forever, but since I'm not really TRYING... they're mostly gone, and then some!!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Hey you guys...big score on just 4 yards! and UFO's bringing in $$$$. What else can one ask for?
Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Hi all, it was so great when I was looking to back a quilt I have to finish immediately and found the perfect piece in my stash. Enough to back and bind. I also had the batting and thread, SCORE! This shopping in my room is getting to be fun. After I finish the binding and label today I'll post a pic in the UFO section.

BTW: I tried Dream 80/20 and REALLY like how it handles. It is so much softer than W&N and Hobbs. I can highly recommend it.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Hi all, it was so great when I was looking to back a quilt I have to finish immediately and found the perfect piece in my stash. Enough to back and bind. I also had the batting and thread, Score! This shopping in my room is getting to be fun. After I finish the binding and label today I'll post a pic in the UFO section.

BTW: I tried Dream 80/20 and Really like how it handles. It is so much softer than W&N and Hobbs. I can highly recommend it.
MadQuilter, I love all the different battings by Quilters Dream. Their QD Orient (bamboo) has the nicest drape of anything else I've every used!! And I'm getting ready to use QD Wool on the Lone Star quilt.

I've actually had to do some rearranging in the sewing room after all - the heater technician was supposed to come this week to look at re-doing some duct-work. This (again) resulted in me "finding" more goodies that I'd forgotten about. I posted on the UFO thread about the Dresden plates that I'm now working on, you can hop over there to see the pics. But it all (again) reminded me of Why I'm in the moratorium!!!!!!!! LOL!

One a much less happy note, my furbaby, "Cowboy", is not expected to live much longer. He's a little white and tan Chihuahua, and I've had him over 12 years. Vet says she thinks he ate something that's poisoned his system, and surgery is beyond the reach of my pocketbook, as we're still paying on hubby's surgery from several months ago. She gave me some meds for him, but it will probably end by Monday. This is slowly killing me, emotionally. He's my baby.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-25-2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 12-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Letawellman, I'm so sorry to hear about cowboy's health. My thoughts and quilting hugs going your way.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:07 AM

Oh Leta- I’m so sorry.

hugs

Rob
Old 12-18-2017, 05:28 AM

OH, Leta, I'm so sorry about Cowboy. Our fur babies are family.

Connie
Old 12-19-2017, 11:28 AM

Leta, sorry about the sad news.

I know we are not "officially" on the moratorium, and I thought I wouldn't buy any more fabric. But .... I went to JoAnns for some craft glue and since they had 60% off Christmas fabric with an additional 20% on total purchase, I got 2 yards of a lovely ecru/ gold snowflake design to back two table runners I've started. OK - I only needed a yard, but it was a good price so bought two.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Sorry to hear that bad news, leta.

We were supposed to go on a 4-day jaunt to celebrate our 41st anniversary. We didn't do anything last year because Pat just had the clavicle surgery. Well, all those best-laid plans. We just couldn't leave with good conscience with Walt (MIL's DH) just being moved to hospice care. So we stayed home. I did make him take me to the LQS where I bought supplies to make some double-sided pot holders. Those will be gifts whenever I can get them done. So I don't feel bad about the purchase as it will all leave my house again and none of it will become stash.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Hi all.
Unfortunately, Cowboy did indeed pass away, Sunday evening.
I'm just heartbroken. Whenever I was home, he was right there with me - in the sewing room lying on some leftover batting scraps (or even on the pedal to the sewing machine!), or at the foot of my bed during the night (he usually ended up under the covers against my chest) or riding with me in the car. In the evenings when I get home from work, he'd be running to greet me, as if to say "You're Finally home!!"
He was my buddy, my baby, my BFF.
I told hubby "no more dogs - it's just too hard to lose them"... and I've had dogs all my life. It just seems harder as we get older.

The third little bag I made sold today... and I've had a couple more people stop by, looking at the large lap quilt. It would be nice if it sold by Friday.

I stopped at Wal-Mart this weekend, and grabbed the teddy bear pattern that I keep seeing people post for making "memory bears". I was a very, Very good girl, and resisted buying any fabric (I got the pattern and turned around and left that area of the store!!)

Massdrop has a deal going on Quilters Dream Wool - once they get so many "committed buyers", it drops to an amazing price. Here's their link ( https://www.massdrop.com/r/SFJHKV ), just scroll down until you see it offer. The bundle (1 Queen, 2 crib) retails for about $80, if enough people are interested, it drops down to $45. I buy there every now and then - usually for QD batting. They also have all kinds of other stuff too. I'm getting the package with 1 Queen and 2 Twin batts for about $55.

No sewing tonight, but I did get quite a bit done on a UFO over the weekend. Not finished, but closer to finished.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-25-2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: remove shouting