2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-19-2017, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

oh elly66, I know what you mean! I, too, need that bit of sewing time...it's a great relaxer and why I like to have some mindless piecing project on the side table to allow me to listen to the machine whirr as I sew random 9P, 4P or waste triangles together. I find myself humming or singing as I sew along!

Judith..it's never too late to join!

Last edited by oksewglad; 11-19-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Great projects!

Judith: Please join us. There is also a thread called UFO Challenge you might want to check out.

oksewgkad: I have only been interested in mindless sewing lately. . It has been very relaxing.

1st quilt was made from cut blocks from my church quilting group and the flying dinosaurs were found in donated fabric. I added a frame to the dinosaurs to make them 9”. The second quilt: the batiks were cut into squares from similarly colored fabric, cut diagonally in different directions, then a half switched and sewn together again. I found that idea on Jordan Fabrics. I wish I had seen that idea before I cut most of the batik designed fabric that I didn’t like into 2.5” strips. . I then cut 9” squares of gingham fabric for the other squares.

Connie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584080[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]584081[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 8ff55017-227f-41f5-9daf-30afd19f6fab.jpeg   9dda3979-bf23-4dfa-ac7b-6b77a7f00685.jpeg  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

rteach...you make such good use of your found pieces! wish I had more time to sew...life is getting in the way these days...
Old 11-20-2017, 03:28 AM

[QUOTE=
Do we want to continue in 2018? Let me know & I'll arrange the new thread.[/QUOTE]

Ho yes. 2017was bad. I have just bought 50 yards to " Fat Quarter Shop" in clearance - - 60%) with an average price of dollards 5.68 the yard (included postal charges and tax). The fabric quality LQS in France costs 20-23 dollars the yard. I'm happy but my stash place is full
Old 11-20-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Ummm, I think you spoke too soon(RE:#976) Oh the best laid plans!
You have that right! And I didn't even get the thread.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

My dilemma, you may ask? Word has gotten out that I take scraps..first it was zip lock bags of little pieces...now I'm getting garbage bags and boxes of beautiful pieces from others leftovers. I have such a hard time saying no. Many of these pieces end up in donation quilts and items for fund raisers. Those donating know that and appreciate that I give away finished goods as well. Today another box to sort..off I go to sort..."I'm just a girl who can't say 'No'!"
Old 11-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

Great pumpkin quilt. I love orange.

So I had to work at the quilt show yesterday - 4 hours of house cleaning (which amounted to doing a periodic check in the ladies room to make sure the supplies were in order and the counter was clean). LOTS of time to walk around, look at the quilts, and visit the vendors. I put in raffle tickets and won a basket with 30s fabric BUT that will be packed up and sent to my friend who collects 30s stuff.

Then I sat through a couple of workshops. One was on folding fabric using a file folder as a gauge. I'll have to give that a try. The next session was held by Martelli on their cutting table. Oh what a lovely piece it is. 5 foot wide on casters with a lift and a tilt......I looked at the catalog and had to suppress a chuckle at the MSRP. Not happening! I said to myself. So the guy mentions their show special and for a reduced price you can get all the extras and free shipping. I still scoff at the idea. Finally he mentions the "end-of-show special" and honestly, I couldn't pass it up. Fortunately, the hubs was checking out the quilts so I called him over and the guys started talking table details (lots of teckie-teckie-blabla) and Pat gave me a thumbs up. Still doing the happy dance - I ordered it. YAY!

Lesson to be learned: Shopping restrictions on fabric leads to much more expensive purchases.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:52 AM

Martina! I am so jealous! And also Happy for you, I came very close to buying their show package that had the sit down quilter (it’s lovely) which is on one of their fabulous tables and included a big cutting mat that fit the backside of the table, a bunch of their rulers and some other things... but a. I would need to get rid of the guest bed that takes up part of my quilting studio and b. I still haven’t tried the Innovative sit down and before I plunk down my money I feel that I need to make sure I’ve tried all the main contenders.

post pics when you get it set up in your studio!!!

Rob
Old 11-21-2017, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Great pumpkin quilt. I love orange.

So I had to work at the quilt show yesterday - 4 hours of house cleaning (which amounted to doing a periodic check in the ladies room to make sure the supplies were in order and the counter was clean). LOTS of time to walk around, look at the quilts, and visit the vendors. I put in raffle tickets and won a basket with 30s fabric BUT that will be packed up and sent to my friend who collects 30s stuff.

Then I sat through a couple of workshops. One was on folding fabric using a file folder as a gauge. I'll have to give that a try. The next session was held by Martelli on their cutting table. Oh what a lovely piece it is. 5 foot wide on casters with a lift and a tilt......I looked at the catalog and had to suppress a chuckle at the MSRP. Not happening! I said to myself. So the guy mentions their show special and for a reduced price you can get all the extras and free shipping. I still scoff at the idea. Finally he mentions the "end-of-show special" and honestly, I couldn't pass it up. Fortunately, the hubs was checking out the quilts so I called him over and the guys started talking table details (lots of teckie-teckie-blabla) and Pat gave me a thumbs up. Still doing the happy dance - I ordered it. YAY!

Lesson to be learned: Shopping restrictions on fabric leads to much more expensive purchases.
Yup I drooled at the same thing at our quilt show, a lot. But when push came to shove, I just couldn't justify the funds especially when I had no place to put it without it being in the way. Enjoy your purchase.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Martina! I am so jealous! And also Happy for you, I came very close to buying their show package that had the sit down quilter (it’s lovely) which is on one of their fabulous tables and included a big cutting mat that fit the backside of the table, a bunch of their rulers and some other things... but a. I would need to get rid of the guest bed that takes up part of my quilting studio and b. I still haven’t tried the Innovative sit down and before I plunk down my money I feel that I need to make sure I’ve tried all the main contenders.

post pics when you get it set up in your studio!!!

Rob
was trying to spell Innova sit down quilter, not “ Innovative”. Ever since the last update, my IPad changes the words I type into other words constantly and If I don’t carefully proofread everything then all kinds of wrong words end up in my replies. Sometimes I have to retype a word 2 or 3 Times to get it to stop changing it to something else- anyone else having this problem???? Better yet, anyone else have a solution?

Rob