2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 09-17-2017, 02:47 PM

ryder, sounds like your getting to a good reason for shopping
Old 09-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Well, you will be pleased to know that I took advantage of all possible exemptions and probably a few I haven't thought of yet. My friend and I went to two stores where shopping was easy. Then DH and I found two more on our way to the Carlsbad Caverns. The credit card got a workout. Now to find space for all the goodies.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:16 PM

Hi everyone!
Well, when I fall off the wagon, I fall HARD!!!

This weekend was my Longarm guild meeting. In addition to our regular meeting, we had a guest teacher give a class. There was about 1 1/2-2 hours of down-time between the two, so I went with one of the ladies to Hobby Lobby... had a 60% off coupon, plus a lot of stuff was 50% off too.
So, I bought...
3 yds for a BBQ apron for hubby (double-sided)
7 yds of some bright multi-color for a pieced backing
3 1/2 yds extra wide for backing for a specific UFO.

We also saw some "coloring" posters that will make awesome wholecloth quilt patterns!

Added to that, the teacher had brought some kits that she had decided she would NEVER get around to doing... Civil War patterns and repro fabrics... I'm such a sucker... and they were less than half price.

I spent lots of money this weekend.
I'm so bad. But, since I hadn't bought anything since February, I'm not TOO bad, right? LOL!
Old 09-19-2017, 08:55 PM

letawellman. Don't know what to say. Looks like a lot of yardage, but they're all for specific projects so I think those are exhempt.

Now the kits....... it's all up to you.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

But, Leta..it was on sale! And Martina warned us that she was going on a shopping spree!

My downfall is someone else's scraps...My coworker dropped off a garbage bag of them yesterday. Last night I sorted through them by color, type and sizes. Scored some nice 1" strips for my 9P project. The flannels will go to a cousin for her charity projects. A pile of purple batiks are waiting for a special project. Included were some backing trimmings which will make nice borders in a couple of quilts I have in mind...always inspiration in a pile of scraps!
Old 09-20-2017, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
But, Leta..it was on sale! And Martina warned us that she was going on a shopping spree!

My downfall is someone else's scraps...My coworker dropped off a garbage bag of them yesterday. Last night I sorted through them by color, type and sizes. Scored some nice 1" strips for my 9P project. The flannels will go to a cousin for her charity projects. A pile of purple batiks are waiting for a special project. Included were some backing trimmings which will make nice borders in a couple of quilts I have in mind...always inspiration in a pile of scraps!
Well, if I had known your downfall, I would have definitely been an enabler a couple of weeks ago. I purged a whole lot of scraps (I have finally realized I'm not really a Bonnie Hunter-type of gal). Some I took to the LA meeting (along with a BIG bag of batting scraps), some I took to GoodWill, and some I (gasp!) threw away. The tossed ones were really awful.
I know, I know, Bonnie says "If it's still ugly, you didn't cut it small enough".
Like I said, I've learned that's not really my cup of tea.

I did a little piecing today, on "Bohemian" by Judi Madsen. It's coming along well.

We had crammed a lot of stuff into my sewing room when we thought Hurricane Irma was going to pay us a visit. She DID come by, but not nearly as strong as we were expecting. So, yesterday, we put the motorcycle back outside, along with a couple other things. So, while I now have the ability to wend my way around to my sewing machine, I still can't get to the longarm. But that too will clear up before too long.

We're warily watching Hurricane Maria now. Since we survived Hurricane Hugo in 1989, we never take for granted what one of those monsters will or won't do.

Tomorrow is "Friday-eve" (aka Thursday). And it seems that on this new job (since June) I tend to work 9-10 hours/day, and they don't want me to get overtime, then Friday will probably only be a 1/2 day, or even less. And that's when I get to work from home. OMG, I just LOVE technology!! Guess that's why I've worked in IT for 25+ years.

Happy sewing, everyone!!
Old 09-20-2017, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

I'm getting selective in what I keep out of the scraps...I'm putting in the Thrift shop bag fabrics not to my liking.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:36 AM

Oksewglad it's good you know what you probably won't use and pass it along to someone who will.
Yesterday I realized that I haven't purchased any fabric this month and it's almost nearing the end of my Birthday month. The really weird part is I have no desire to purchase any. WHAT"S WRONG WITH ME!
Off to do some sewing. Have too many projects lined up and not enough time
Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

elly66, I think I have reached the saturation point and it's time to pull the stop on buying...hence no desire to buy. Absolutely nothing is wrong with you! Just wish I would make more time to use it up!
Old 09-21-2017, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Absolutely nothing is wrong with you! Just wish I would make more time to use it up!
Totally agree. I have a few bags sitting in front of the door to my sewing room. I can't even bring myself to take them in because then I will have to fight and find space. Another chore - sigh. But it WAS FUN buying the fabric.