2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 09-07-2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
... In addition, I spent the morning on the roof of the shed doing some shingle repair. I'm way too old to be on a roof. So, feeling a bit sore (from the roof thing) and a bit ticked off (from being talked into the roof thing) ....
This sounds like my house... since hubby is retired, he has even MORE stuff than usual going on, and it seems he can never do ANY OF IT without his "helper" - which, in case you don't know, is me.
Fixing fencing... fixing tractor equipment... fixing the roof(s) (we have 3 small buildings, 2 sheds and a very large barn... and of course the house)... fixing the car/truck/motorcycle/lawnmower.

The man has LOTS of tools... but never knows where he's put them - unlike myself, as I ALWAYS know where my tools are... and when I DO let him borrow them, they go right back where they belong when he's done... because I go looking for them.

So, yeah, I know what you mean about being on the roof and being sore the next day.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:38 PM

I know about the helper and he can't find his tools.
I need to learn some more replies. Some I use are:
What time do you want my help. I've got ? hours/minutes to give you. What exactly do you want me to do. I do have limits; don't do heights (and he shouldn't either), can't crawl (too many surgeries), can't lift weights (again surgeries).
What materials do you need. Do you have them?
What tools do you need? Do you have them and are they in working order?
Where do you plan to work? Is it ready?
Call me when you've got it all ready.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:34 PM

Madquilter great job on buying fabric for us. I enjoy living through your buying. Thank-you LOL
Old 09-12-2017, 11:10 AM

Grateful that more fabric is being used in my house than what is coming in!

This one is approximately 70" by 78". The top will be given to my church group to sandwich and tie. Some of the strips weren't cut evenly but I decided that I would use them anyway. It gives it character.

I was planning to use 9" blocks that were cut by my church group so I started with the 9" Dresden strip which I had previously sewn from left over Dresden blades and the side cuttings from the original rectangles after I finished my son and daughter-in-law's wedding quilt. But when I tried to combine random 9" squares with it, something wasn't right. So I sewed a few more strip pieced blocks together and added them to some orphan blocks and now I can call it done!

Connie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]580424[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1506.jpg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 09-12-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:20 PM

I like that a lot Connie!

Rob
Old 09-13-2017, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

The black strip setting makes for a graphic effect...nicely done, Connie!
Old 09-16-2017, 05:30 AM

Connie I like your finish. It reminds me of a book shelf. Nicely done.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

I have had several lapses this summer..some already confessed. Most of the pieces have been 2 1/2 to as much as 5 yards...all bought on sale and of a neutral nature. The nice thing about having large pieces like this is I can match up scrappy blocks with neutrals to create a cohesive look. Over the past week I have selected setting and border fabrics for 2 large quilts that are in the making. Meanwhile QBuddy and I have been sewing on our Tic Tac Sew quilt of rail fences. In between this I have been cutting from the scrap bin to work on another big mini type quilt. And then there's my word quilt....

Last edited by oksewglad; 09-16-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the compliments!

It does look like books on shelves, Happylab.

Connie
Old 09-17-2017, 12:46 PM

Went through my stash today to find something to use for borders and backing on a UFO. It was hard to find something that would work ...I think that may be a good thing.... There's still plenty available for starting new projects, so I'm set for making future UFOs to be used in that challenge over the next few years, but if I want to actually finish the ones I've got it's getting harder and harder to find the bits and pieces in my stash to get them completed.... does this mean that fabric shopping is something I NEED to do in order to fully participate in the UFO challenge??? just asking

Rob