2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-29-2017, 02:40 PM

Today I went to Joanne's armed with coupons. I purchased a roll of batting and a couple 15 yard bolts of interfacing that I use in my embroidery projects. I saved over $600! I know batting is allowed, but was super happy with the savings. I won't have to buy batting for a year or more now. Love coupons.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

IMHO you need thread to sew!

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Yesterday, I was quilting some UFO's and discovered the stitch in the ditch was too obvious on solid fabric. The thread needed to match better. So I stopped on the way home and bought thread....was that $$$$$ or what. The large spools last f o r e v e r, but still. Connecting Threads didn't have the colors needed. I've been doing better, for me, then this made me feel defeated..... Need opinions.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Score one for you happylab!

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
Since we like pics. Here's a pic of my above mentioned fabric purchases, less than $11.00. Right bottom is the 5"charms squares, bottom rights the 5 out of 6 f-q batiks, and the back half is free fabric that was donated to the guild which I will make charity quilt tops from.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:54 AM

I sort of went off the wagon yesterday. I went to a small LQS close by and she had horse fabric I've been looking for for weeks. I'm making my niece a quillow, per her request. I'm also bought 5 f-q for QAL project starting in 2.5 weeks. I also bought the rbr kit and a layer cake package for a UFO I plan to restart next year. I need one more layer cake for this project. unfortunately I did not buy much on sale. So i will be busy soon, sewing. Happy Labor Day everyone.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:19 AM

I'm doing a Happy Dance! The large tub is now empty. It had donated fabric that my church group couldn't use. It was mostly polyester and double knit. I used the polyester for backings on some diaper pads and I cut 24" squares and serged all four edges for diaper bag pockets. What I couldn't use was donated to Salvation Army.

Now to get my car trunk empty. That hopefully will happen tomorrow. All of it will go to a local charity to eventually be put in baby bundles. Diaper bag pockets and diaper bag fabric; diaper pads; baby wipes; 2 quilt tops with backings; and a box of ribbing and knit fabric.

Whew! Just in time as I have my first subbing job for the school year on Friday.

Much more out than in the past few months! Yeah!

Connie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]580153[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]580154[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1494.jpg   img_1495.jpg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 09-06-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

Good going, Connie.

We are packing up to go on the infamous road trip. I decided on a new "living vicariously through others" exclusion. That way I can justify should I go over my "supporting local economy" and "travel" exemptions. You all can simply live vicariously through my moment of excess and I can keep shopping. Hope that works for y'all.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:15 PM

Madquilter: Sounds good to me. Better your pocketbook than mine. LOL! Have fun!

Connie
Old 09-07-2017, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

WTG Connie...those items will be needed and appreciated. Martina...find some brights for me ...I need a bright with grays for the quilt QBuddy and I are working on. Hers is country browns and greens...mine is tropical brights. Guess I had better shop my stash, but you have a great time.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:56 AM

Yeah Martina! so kind of you! Have fun.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I have to dare myself to go into the wilderness that is my sewing room and corral all of the errand bits and bobs that moved around as well as unearth the assorted fabrics that migrated into the corners. Bags and boxes to be emptied and order to be created out of chaos. The mind is willing but the rest of me wants to play here.
Loved this post, MadQuilter, as I did a pretty crazy purge in my sewing room on Labor Day.

Hi all!! So sorry to have been incommunicado the past several months, my new job (started June 5) has been very hectic, but I AM loving it!! I only get 40 hours per week (no overtime), so I often have a short day on Friday, as Mon-Thur tends to definitely go well over 8 hours/day. Last week was busier than usual, so I only had to work 1 hour on Friday (fortunately, I was able to "dial in" instead of driving in), so I essentially had a 4 day weekend.

Sunday night, I asked hubby if he was going to need me for anything on Labor Day, and he said "No, why?" I told him wanted a "me in the sewing room" day. He said he had a friend coming by to help him, so they wouldn't need me.

YAAAAYYYY!!

I spent the first part of the morning PURGING!! I could hardly move in my space, and while "creative chaos" is my norm, this was just unreasonable! I tossed LOTS of scraps... yeah, I know, I should have donated them, but I was SICK of looking at all the mess, piles of stuff here and there, boxes of VERY OLD UFO'S that I finally admitted I was probably never going to get back to. But, don't think I tossed EVERYTHING - oh no - that was just the stuff that made it hazardous to get to my sewing machine. There's still bunches and bunches of totes and plastic boxes of stash, and kits and UFO's that I currently hope to get finished one day.

I'm sure happy that our county still did trash pickup on Monday, even though it was a holiday!! The trash can was overflowing!!

Then, since I could actually SEE what I had, as well as move comfortably around without breaking my neck, I put the binding on last year's LA group challenge wall hanging.

Then I made lunch.

Then I marked a quilt top that I hope will be going to MQX next spring.

Then I had a nap.

It was a PERFECT day!!

I'm glad I had that, as we're battening down the hatches, preparing for the disaster named Irma. Having gone through Hugo, we will NEVER AGAIN assume that even though we're some 200 miles from the coast, we're safe.

On the subject of our primary quest here on this thread, I'm very proud to say that, other than my splurge back in early spring, and the backing for my Lone Star, I haven't bought ANY fabric this year!! And it's SEPTEMBER!!!