Old 01-21-2017, 06:58 AM
paintmejudy

Default Clue #3

To start this week, make 48 HSTs from dark and light fabrics that will measure 2-1/2” square when pressed and trimmed as needed. Use the method of your choice: the traditional method of cutting strips at 2-3/8”; or HST triangle papers; or Rhonda’s tutorial (from our Quilting Board) for her cutaway method; or the EZ companion angle ruler, or whatever brand ruler you have. Cut the fabrics however that method dictates if you are using something other than the way I have done them. The traditionally taught method is to cut the strips at 2-3/8” and into 2-3/8” squares; when sew and cut they should measure 2”. I did them my oversize method because I can never get the traditional method to work for me. Do your HSTs in whatever method you are comfortable with, using the directions for that method. Any way that gives you a 2” square HST is the right way.

For my “lazy quilter” method -- I cut two strips at 2-1/2” from dark and two strips at 2-1/2” from light. Place a light and dark right sides together, sew together and press to the dark. Repeat with second set of strips. This is where accurate ¼” seaming is important. Then sub-cut into 2-1/2” segments to get 24 of the dark and 24 of the light squares. I don’t bother to mark them, I’ve found folding point to point and then giving them a good pressing gives me a line to use for a sewing guide. You can mark, if you wish. Place a light and a dark right sides together. Sew just the least bit scant of ¼” from each side of the pressed line, cut on the line, press open and trim as needed to make 48 HSTs that measure 2” square. If have cut your squares at 2-3/8” and you sew exactly on the fold or marked line, your block may be a bit undersized.

(I bought the companion angle ruler to make HSTs for the BH Provance mystery and it is now my new favorite way to make HSTs. But didn’t have it when I made my blocks.)

Now, again with your light, cut 48 squares that measure 2-1/2” square. Pay attention to the picture. Half of your blocks will be one direction, the other half will be a mirror image.

Take a light square and sew to a HST, press to the light square. Make 24 of these units. Repeat with the rest of the squares and HSTs and make 24 mirror image units.

Easy Peasy and done in a flash. Well, maybe a long blink….
Attached Thumbnails week-3-.jpg   week-3-b.jpg