Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 29 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 16th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Begins Now!

16th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Begins Now!

Good morning, and Happy New Year! Are you ready? Let’s get this train ride under way! Settle into the club car for a snack and beverage while we say hello – A big welcome to all returning passengers, and to all new mystery train riders. Confident beginners and experienced quilters will enjoy this trip. Clues are posted Saturday morning by 8:00 MST and you will begin cutting and sewing next week. The last clue will be given on Feb 11 with all the directions needed to complete your quilt.

Making this quilt, as the directions are written, will make a lap quilt or wall hanging approximately 36” x 48”. (Borders for the quilt are not include in the below 3 fabrics.) It can easily be made larger with 1 or 2 additional borders, or by making double the number of blocks with sash and a border. Or some of you (yup .. I know who you are. LOL) will just make 4 times the number of blocks and make a magnificent large quilt. I am confident you will be pleased with the result. My quilt will be donated to the charity I sew for, with the addition of sash and border. But my daughter (my beta group!) wants me to make her a big one in all purples.

Instead of using A B C as fabric designations, I am just calling them light, medium and dark, as you can see from the photo of fabric groups I’ve sampled out. Make sure you have contrast between all the fabrics so the pattern will leap out at you. I kept mulling over what to do, and finally made a pick from one of these groups. Let’s have a little vote – Vote for which group you like best (A B C or D) and vote which one you think I used! You’ll see my choice next Saturday.

Small-scale prints or tone on tone will work best. Some may say that my light is not a small scale, but yes, it is if you look at the density of the print. There is no surrounding background that will end up reading as a white when the fabric is cut into. You will need the following:

1-1/2 yards of light
    1-1/8 yard of medium
    1 yard of dark

I would suggest a sashing, perhaps a solid of a darker color, to separate the blocks from the border. For this quilt that I am making, I am allowing 8 or 9 inches to cut into 1-1/2”wide sashing strips. I like this size that finishes at 1” wide, just enough separation of colors without distracting from the quilt pattern. Naturally, you can use whatever you wish.

If you are adding a border, use either one of the fabrics in the quilt if you have more fabric, or an entirely different fabric. You may want to wait until the end to decide on a border.

Next Saturday, you will see what I chose, and I will show you the border and sashing I used.

Post your fabric choices if you have any questions about using them and I will try to help. Post them if you don’t have questions so we can all see everybody’s beautiful fabrics!

Will check in with you, early this afternoon to see how you are doing. Have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Whoo Hoo. I'm on board. Breakfast tacos are in the club car, and the coffee is made. There's also a nice assortment of teas for those so inclined. Let the fun begin!

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Judy. (Yes, you know me!)
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Group D caught my eye first but I am voting this way:

Like the best-B

You will use-B

Thanks for hosting another Mystery Train.

Connie

I love group "A"!

My favorite is B and is the group I think you used.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

I'm changing my mind, I prefer B, but think you used D
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Oh Judy they are all sooo pretty. I think the B maybe or the C. No the B. I'm sure the B. Wait maybe the C. OK the B for sure I think. lol.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
    Thanks, Judy. (Yes, you know me!)
    Yes, indeedy, exactly the person I had in mind! LOL

I like all the choices but A. So I know, make one of each, lol. Welcome aboard everyone. Raspberry coffee cake in the club car.

I like C the best but think you used D. Judy would this pattern be suitable for a baby quilt. I need a baby quilt for my grandson due end of April so if I could make this quilt for him it would be killing two birds with one stone.

Canny, yes, this would be perfect for a baby quilt, just make sure the prints are small. Like I mentioned, it will finish at 48" long without sash and border, so if, when finished, you think it is too big, you can leave off one row, and make a pillow or wall hanging to match the quilt.

I like the C group and think it's the one that you used. It looks like Spring!!

Most of my fabric is stored off site, so once it warms up a bit I'll head over and pull some.
    I like B the best, but am guessing you used C.

Judy -- love your new avatar. Does the center block have a name?

Here are my fabric choices along with a part of a block where I have used these 3 fabrics:

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1436
Size:  106.7 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 1440
Size:  103.3 KB

If I need to change out my blue solid, please let me know.

Connie

My amazing son has finished his MFA in Boston, traveled to Vietnam as a Visiting Scholar, returned to NYC and packed up for a move to Oakland, Ca. Along the way, he got a teaching offer, in Hong Kong! Back in Oakland, he is finishing his novel and driving for Uber. And looking for an apartment. I will look for masculine-ish fabric and make this wall hanging
    for him. With a wish for affordable rent and a secure lease!! Thanks Judy!!
    Dotty in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    Most of my fabric is stored off site, so once it warms up a bit I'll head over and pull some.
    I like B the best, but am guessing you used C.

Judy -- love your new avatar. Does the center block have a name?
    It was a free pattern from Moda called Double Windmill and was done with light and dark solid blue, and white. I am a scrappy person, so that is what I did. Each block in the quilt had a different light background, and I sashed the blocks to make them stand out.
    this is the first one I mad,e kind of blah, so I went all scrappy but forgot to take a pix of it.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t282007.html click on this link to see the blah one LOL
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 01-07-2017 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo

I like B best, but I think you will use D. Thanks for the new mystery. Quilting on the border of mystery # 14. Finished # 15 (table runner) in early December. Looking forward to this one.

Being drawn in....

Thanks for the invite Judy ~ I may be being pulled into it already; I can see that you have lots of fun with it. What do you think of this combo? Are the prints too large?
    I think you will go with B and that is my favorite too - especially the lightest one.

Blog Entries
    I hope to quilt along on this Mystery Train.
    Boom 12 - Short & Sweet

I like both B and D. Would prefer B but think it will be D. Have to go look at my stash now!

I'm onboard and looking forward to a fun trip. I like all the examples you shared and I think you chose C.

Quote Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
    Here are my fabric choices along with a part of a block where I have used these 3 fabrics:

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1436
Size:  106.7 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 1440
Size:  103.3 KB

If I need to change out my blue solid, please let me know.

Connie
    Connie, if you blue is the medium, I think you will be just fine! Love your TOT background in this block

Quote Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
    Thanks for the invite Judy ~ I may be being pulled into it already; I can see that you have lots of fun with it. What do you think of this combo? Are the prints too large?
    I think you will go with B and that is my favorite too - especially the lightest one.
    Carol Your fabrics are beautiful. I think when you see the first clue, you may agree that they are a bit large, but then you may like the look of what you will be making with the first clue. You will find that I give very little away at to clues of the mystery, but am more than happy to advise on fabric.

Aren't the fabrics great so far. Here is my maybe choices. I wanted yellow /blue but didn't have enough. So these are greens. The first one is pastel green the second a white background with blue and green flowers and the third is a medium green in the same family of green as the first.
    Mary

Page 1 of 29 1 2 11 ... LastLast