View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 11:32 AM
rbwiese

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
We make them from fleece or any knit fabric, something soft and warm. You can find any number of free patterns online for different ones. Our Oncology Dept. really does appreciate them for the patients. We also make underarm breast cancer pillows which are used by male and female patients. Lap quilts are also much appreciated. I'm all for anything that will give the patients some comfort.
I would start by going to your local Oncology Dept. head and talking to someone in the office as to their requirements and protocol.
The knitting group that I belong to makes preemie hats and blankets, chemo hats, comfort shawls, and recently added knitted knockers to our donations. A lady came to our group and explained the knockers and the fact that prosthetics are so heavy that these are a welcome change for women. They are washable and we leave them flat and someone at the drs offices stuffs them as needed.

My quilting guild also makes cuddle quilts for a local children's home. We donate 75-100 every year.

There are a lot of local places that one can find to donate to with a little digging around. We have a contact in the NICU that accepts our donations. Small (about 18" square) quilts would be a great addition to this.