View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 03:48 PM
NJ Quilter

I agree with the concept of figuring out your workspaces and then going from there. My other suggestions...when we were doing our addition (kitchen/dr/br) I had a bit of an outlet fetish in the kitchen. I believe code was for every 4-5 ft. at the time. I had each outlet installed as a quad outlet - 4 plugs per outlet. I think it may have required one extra circuit for that room beyond the other separate circuits. There is not a day I've regretted this decision. There's not a spot in my kitchen that I can't plug in an appliance without having to unplug something else.

I would suggest, in addition to the counter-height and floor outlets that you already have planned, do a couple of traditional lower level outlets as well. Perhaps to keep some of the cord mess/visibility down to a dull roar for appropriate devices.

One other thought....if you use an I phone/I pad and use the USB type charger - have a couple of those outlets installed at counter height as well.

Another thought...if your house/area is subject to lots of power outages/surges...consider a 'whole house' surge protector?? Frankly, I didn't even know these things existed! We personally do not generally have an issue with damage from these events. Friends, however - just a few miles down the road - do have these issues. Recently they had what seemed to be a short-term power surge. In the process, one of their power strips actually got hot enough to burn their carpet; the electrical circuit in one room totally tripped. They've had this issue previously. There had actually also been a couple of 'room & contents' fires in their home prior to them purchasing. As well as one of their neighbors had the same issue during this most recent event requiring fire company response/intervention.

I'm assuming you're having professionals do your electrical (vs a very handy DH) work, so it may be worth a conversation. Particularly if you're adding a new or upgrading your existing electrical panel. Just some thoughts.