Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: while I have the chance

Blog Entries

while I have the chance

Name:  DSC_0025.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  80.0 KBWould love some suggestions about electrical plugs and lighting while I have the chance to make changes in my new quilting studio before the sheetrock and insulation goes in. I will have one receptacle in the floor where I plan to put a longarm machine and several plugs half way up on a couple of walls for easy plug ins like irons and such. There will be track lighting in along the center beam and recessed LEDs in the ceiling. Would love to have some feedback. Name:  DSC_0030.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  87.0 KB
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Lucky you! I have no feedback for you. Your plans sound perfect to me, very well thought out. I just wanted to comment on your great new space. Good luck, I hope you'll be able to spend many hours in your new "Happy Place".

PS, be sure to post pictures of your room when it's completed. I'll be looking forward to seeing them.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Plan out your work spaces and go from there like a kitchen. Your cutting area, a sink or clean up area, place to sit and have a cup or glass of whatever to take a break or handwork or just to take in the view which from the bottom photo looks pretty good to me. Anxious to see when it's finished.

I think tessagin's suggestion is great. When I have a space to plan out I sit in a chair in the middle of that space and try to visualize what would work. Many times this brings up things you need to add to your to-do list for the space. Looks great, don't forget to post pictures when it is done.
    Sally

Power Poster
    While it is open, have it wired for a internet connection or WiFi so you can check the web. I would want a work station for my sewing machine and a design wall. Congratulations on your new space!

I ditto Tartan....wifi would be a nice option if you need to look up a video or something to show you a "how to do it" type thing.
    Can't wait to see it finished. Me and the hubbs are still working on mine downstairs. I think he's tired. LOL

I would think about the 4 ft long lights over your longarm and maybe your sewing machine. Three lights will cover the full lenght of the longarm. I have that and one over my sewing machine and one over the cutting area and it works great. I don't know how they compare to recessed led lights. With the lights directly overhead, there isn't any shadows. Just a thought. The electric outlets up higher on the wall worked great.

Lots of outlets. Several on each wall and in the floor. My sewing room has several but I wish there were more. Good overhead lighting. As I get older, I'm needing more light and have had to keep buying lights for different spots in my sewing room.
    Patrice S

I agree with the concept of figuring out your workspaces and then going from there. My other suggestions...when we were doing our addition (kitchen/dr/br) I had a bit of an outlet fetish in the kitchen. I believe code was for every 4-5 ft. at the time. I had each outlet installed as a quad outlet - 4 plugs per outlet. I think it may have required one extra circuit for that room beyond the other separate circuits. There is not a day I've regretted this decision. There's not a spot in my kitchen that I can't plug in an appliance without having to unplug something else.

I would suggest, in addition to the counter-height and floor outlets that you already have planned, do a couple of traditional lower level outlets as well. Perhaps to keep some of the cord mess/visibility down to a dull roar for appropriate devices.

One other thought....if you use an I phone/I pad and use the USB type charger - have a couple of those outlets installed at counter height as well.

Another thought...if your house/area is subject to lots of power outages/surges...consider a 'whole house' surge protector?? Frankly, I didn't even know these things existed! We personally do not generally have an issue with damage from these events. Friends, however - just a few miles down the road - do have these issues. Recently they had what seemed to be a short-term power surge. In the process, one of their power strips actually got hot enough to burn their carpet; the electrical circuit in one room totally tripped. They've had this issue previously. There had actually also been a couple of 'room & contents' fires in their home prior to them purchasing. As well as one of their neighbors had the same issue during this most recent event requiring fire company response/intervention.

I'm assuming you're having professionals do your electrical (vs a very handy DH) work, so it may be worth a conversation. Particularly if you're adding a new or upgrading your existing electrical panel. Just some thoughts.

All of the suggestions are good. I have none to add but do have a question. You will invite us all to play in that room, won't you??? LOL

Your space is gong to be awesome. My only suggestion is for lights. However many you think is good, DOUBLE it, and put them on dimmers. The LEDs put out a lot of light, but they are going to create shadows too. Adding lights now will help you eliminate that. I was advised to put more lights, but I thought what we planned would be plenty. They would be for a normal room, but I wish I had listened. Enjoy your new room and I am looking forward to finished pictures!

Determine your closet space and because of the windows, how to keep your fabric stash out of direct light. I, myself, cannot stand the new LED lights. It does something to my eyes. Go somewhere and sit down where they are and try it out. I vote for as many outlets as you can put in there. I had to replace the whole electrical panel box because the old one was recalled (who knew). I don't see a space for your design board also. I would put a lot of carts, etc. with wheels on so you can move them around. I have been to your town and love the area, hopefully you can see the ocean. Enjoy. I'll be watching for the end result.

Is this upstairs, I would want an elevator or chair lift to carry up fabric.

I have my sewing table in the middle of the room instead of against the wall so my hubby installed an outlet in the ceiling so i can plug my machine into it via extention cord with a switch and turn off the power to it.

You can never have too many outlets -- code here only requires one on a wall -- I have at least 2 and there are places where I am still short because I moved some things around. Having the high outlets is awesome -- I am spoiled. My electrician measured the height of the cutting table and the ironing board so he was sure the outlets would be above them the higher items. I wish I had had my TV hung on the wall so it is out of the way. If you want machines other than your long arm away from the wall, have additional outlets put in the floor (wish I had thought of that). Make sure you have more than one light above your cutting area (shadows are a killer when working with some fabrics) and the same goes with over your machine.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    What awesome feedback. I knew I could count on you guys! Sorry Cuppy, no elevator but I will have two entrances. One through our master bedroom and one from downstairs through our two car garage.

Redquilter, if you ever find yourself in Maine, I'll have a spare bedroom or two after I move my sewing stuff into the new room.

Wesing, yes... all of the lights are going to be on dimmers and my electrician had the same idea as you...go big on the lights.

Tartan...I had not even thought about wi-fi. While we have it in the rest of our house, I will check to see if I will be able to access it in the new room. Wouldn't want to be without it.

Tessagin...great suggestion on the work station. I didn't give it a thought but I can't wait to graph out where to put my sewing, ironing and cutting table.

Ragamuffin, since this room was dormered...some of the slanted space will have what is called "knee walls" I hope to have some storage out of the direct sunlight.

NJQuilter...if you don't mind, I'm going to share your suggestions with my electrician before he finalizes his wiring. I have not heard of a whole house surge protector and he is doing some reconfiguration and moving our generator outlet at the same time so I'm sure he will be knowledgeable. I like your idea of 4 plug outlets and counter height receptacles for phone chargers and such.

Cam'sgram...I am having the most difficulty with lighting over a long arm since I don't have a model or idea of what I need. Thanks for your input.

Again, I can't thank you guys enough for your feedback and suggestions. I will surely post photos as it comes together.

This looks like a dream coming true!!! I can't think of anything to suggest except , as I've read on other threads, can you arrange to have one switch turn off everything when you leave the room ? That way, you'll know your machine, iron, lights, TV ?, coffee pot (?) , are off --safe and easy.

Also will you have a land line up there or only cell phone?

I suggest the "in-the-floor" plugs have screw in covers. I have them in the floor of my three-season room and love them. When I need to use the plugs, I unscrew the covers. Don't have to worry about anyone having a problem with the "in-the-floor" plugs. Mine are brass or brass colored.

I never seem to have an outlet where I need it, so my first response to your question was "Put the plugs every where you can!" Or at least put one every 4 feet or so. You are so smart to put them halfway up the wall!

I have a 1930's dresser that has an outlet on one of the dresser legs. While I have never used that particular outlet, I can understand why it is there. Back then, outlets were few and far between in a room, and the outlet on the dresser let you put an extension cord from the wall outlet over to the dresser.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

It looks like everyone has covered all that is necessary. You are really going to have a good time settling in and creating masterpieces. Have a good time.
    Susan

Blog Entries
    After re-reading comments... and on the suggestions of cashs mom and hybearn8r, I think I am going to have two more outlets put in the floor. I was only going to have one for a long arm but I won't be able to add more once the floor is down.

NJ Quilter, electrical work is not my DH's strong suit but he has been instrumental dealing with contractors and permits, etc.

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who hired a lighting contractor to design the lighting in a new kitchen. It was expensive and she rejected the ideas as she thought there were too many lights. So she did it her way. She was sorry and is still wishing she had listened to the lighting designer. She said there was a lot of math and the light from the windows was taken into account, and the shade from the trees, etc. And I was there and the kitchen was dark. Marcia

Blog Entries
    WOW! I would take in consideration the length of your machine cords and if you have length to move them from one outlet to another. If your going to have any tables, chests or cabinets that you will have lamps sitting on them think of where you want that outlet. Anxious to see the finish.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

ah fantastic i am so happy for you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast