Old 02-04-2017, 07:00 AM
paintmejudy

Default today is the final clue!

And here we are, again, at the end of another mystery. Hope you like this pattern as much as I do.

First of all, from the medium, cut 24 pieces that measure 2” by 3.5”

From the light cut 24 pieces that measure 2” square. From the dark, cut 24 pieces that measure 2” square. You will again be making mirror image units. See the photo.

Snowball the light and the dark to the medium, watching the angle. Sew 2 units together, and press the seam OPEN. There will be 24 of each of the snowballed V- blocks that measure 3-1/2” square.

Take the 2” x 3-1/2” units previously made and sew to the V-block, making 24 units that measure 3-1/2” by 6-1/2” long. Watch the placement, sew as shown in photo.

Make six of the 6-1/2” blocks as shown on the right side of picture showing the C and D strip sets. . To do this, you will need 25” of the medium-dark-medium strip set labeled as C . And you will need 23” of the dark-medium-dark strip set labeled D. The extra inch allows you to square up your strip set before cutting and to square off the last segment. Sew and press in same manner as you did last week.

Cut twelve segments 2” x 6.5” of set C and six segments 3-1/2” x 6-1/2“of set D. Make 6 blocks
From the medium, cut 24 squares that measure 3-1/2” square. Sew 2 of these to each end of 12 of the flower piece made last week, leaving 12 pieces to be laid out as shown. Assemble the blocks. Press as indicated in the picture. When the rows are sewn together, press to the outside. This will allow today’s blocks to nestle with the blocks made last week. You will have six blocks measuring 12-1/2” square.
As shown in the picture lay out the 12 blocks in alternating rows then and sew together.

Add sashing, and a border the width of your choosing. I cut my sash at 1-1/2” wide and my borders are 2-1/2” wide. I would have liked to see them a bit wider, but made the quilt to the size constraints of the charity it was made for.

Sandwich and quilt; trim; bind. And all done.

See how pretty? I know some of you were unhappy making small pieces but hope you all survived. It wasn’t that bad, was it? I hope not. But I think that using smaller pieces in this medium-dark block gives more definition to the block.

Can’t wait to see the finished projects!
Attached Thumbnails week-5a.jpg   week-5b.jpg   week-5c.jpg   week-5d.jpg   week-5e.jpg  

week-5f.jpg