View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 05:20 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Tips to get quilting to show up in photos is lay the quilt flat with a good strong light source coming from the side. In my house my quilting room gives me the best pictures in the afternoon with the natural light coming in from the side window. I have also had limited success hanging the quilt on my clothesline and standing to one side to take pictures. Again, the position of the sun allows me to take better pics in the afternoon.

To see pictures of quilting I often turn to pinterest and use search functions like "machine quilting" or "longarm quilting" or "hand quilting". Books that focus on the quilting show a lot of options, like Tartan's recommendation by Angela Walters. Leah Day is another great resource and I have many books that focus on the quilting not the piecing patterns. Authors like Gina Perkes, Judi Madsen, Harriet Hargrave and Diane Guadynski not only offer "how to" but loads of eye candy for inspiration. Additionally the book A Fine Line gives many ideas on how to visualize and audition quilting motifs and shows how several different ideas can work on the same quilt.
https://www.amazon.com/Fine-Line-Tec.../dp/0809298848

The magazine Machine Quilters Unlimited also has many pictures that give closeups of the quilting along with lots of how to articles for both domestic and longarm quilters.

Pantographs and digital quilting designs are also a great source of inspiration. As are Tattoos, architectural elements, Picture frames on fine art in museums, wrought iron, floor tiles, heck, just about everything around you can be a source of inspiration if you take the time to look.

Once you start looking at a lot of resources that show the quilting you can start to visualize yourself. I draw out my ideas a lot and will often go through numerous auditions before finally deciding. Sometimes I will draw out the block but you can also take clear vinyl and dry erase markers and audition designs.