Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the quilting patterns >

the quilting patterns

the quilting patterns

Old 02-07-2017, 04:55 PM

Default the quilting patterns

I wish we could see how the quilts are quilted . I have a hard time figuring out what type of quilting to do/
Consequently the quilt just sits until I see something that gives me inspiration. I'm not good and visualizing my choices.
darn.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Many of the quilts posted do show the quilting quite nicely.
For those that do show great pics ... THANK YOU!

Plus, sometimes you can get a better view by zooming in on posted pics.

Yes, unfortunately not all photos are great ...
... some of us just do not have the photo skills to make it happen!

I, for one, would welcome any tips and hints others could share, to help get better photos.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

I have Angela Walters book Shape by Shape and I flip through it for ideas.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Tips to get quilting to show up in photos is lay the quilt flat with a good strong light source coming from the side. In my house my quilting room gives me the best pictures in the afternoon with the natural light coming in from the side window. I have also had limited success hanging the quilt on my clothesline and standing to one side to take pictures. Again, the position of the sun allows me to take better pics in the afternoon.

To see pictures of quilting I often turn to pinterest and use search functions like "machine quilting" or "longarm quilting" or "hand quilting". Books that focus on the quilting show a lot of options, like Tartan's recommendation by Angela Walters. Leah Day is another great resource and I have many books that focus on the quilting not the piecing patterns. Authors like Gina Perkes, Judi Madsen, Harriet Hargrave and Diane Guadynski not only offer "how to" but loads of eye candy for inspiration. Additionally the book A Fine Line gives many ideas on how to visualize and audition quilting motifs and shows how several different ideas can work on the same quilt.
https://www.amazon.com/Fine-Line-Tec.../dp/0809298848

The magazine Machine Quilters Unlimited also has many pictures that give closeups of the quilting along with lots of how to articles for both domestic and longarm quilters.

Pantographs and digital quilting designs are also a great source of inspiration. As are Tattoos, architectural elements, Picture frames on fine art in museums, wrought iron, floor tiles, heck, just about everything around you can be a source of inspiration if you take the time to look.

Once you start looking at a lot of resources that show the quilting you can start to visualize yourself. I draw out my ideas a lot and will often go through numerous auditions before finally deciding. Sometimes I will draw out the block but you can also take clear vinyl and dry erase markers and audition designs.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Hopping back again, here is a tutorial I wrote on steps I take for coming up with a motif. Maybe this will help too.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...f-t243306.html
Old 02-08-2017, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

There are whole books written on this subject! Maybe check at your local library to see if they have any available to check out or go by your local quilt store.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Glad you arrived, FelineFanatic ... now I can/will talk about you!
Thank you for the photography tips. I really need to get a better photo area figured out.

BBEyes ... if you want to see great photos of quilting designs, just take a look at FF's postings!
She has amazing talent, in both quilting and photography!!
Old 02-09-2017, 04:07 AM

I was just given a subscription to Quiltmaker for Christmas and I noticed right away in my first magazine, the March/April issue, that they do give you the quilting pattern along with alternate suggestions...I thought that was pretty cool.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I was just given a subscription to Quiltmaker for Christmas and I noticed right away in my first magazine, the March/April issue, that they do give you the quilting pattern along with alternate suggestions...I thought that was pretty cool.

Yes, some quilting pattern books do give diagrams in how it was quilted. I have one book "101 Fabulous Rotary-Cut Quilts" by Judy Hopkins and Nancy Martin and they give a quilting suggestion for every single pattern in the book. I think that is awesome. Another one, Stellar Quilts by Judy Martin does highlight the quilting on some of the patterns.

Quilt E, I am blushing. Thank you so much for your kind words! One other tip on taking pictures to emphasize the quilting so it shows, no flash!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
......Quilt E, I am blushing. Thank you so much for your kind words! One other tip on taking pictures to emphasize the quilting so it shows, no flash!
Blush away ..... it is all so well deserved!

If only we were on the same side of THE border .... you would be my LAQ.