View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Sheilz

Originally Posted by mac View Post
I have seen the FW cases stripped down to nothing and then just lacquered and they are beautiful! It would be a shame to paint it and cover up the beautiful wood.

When I got my FW it smelled horrible and was very musty. I cleaned it with vinegar, which helps kill the mold and then when summer came and we had some very high temperatures, I put it in my car for a week. That did the job. It doesn't smell at all now.

If the machine smells musty, you need to take off the bottom pan and replace the felt on the pan. You can use regular felt to replace it. I took the original felt and made a pattern on cardboard so I would have a copy should I ever need to make another felt for the machine. Changing the felt totally cleared up the smell in the machine.

Happy 60th.
There isnt any felt on the bottom. Perhaps the seller had already removed it. I think I will definitely try just sealing the wood and only resort to painting it if absolutely necessary. Maybe add some decorative singer decals to it. I don't mind this gift being a project. I enjoy the challenge. There is definitely some reward in bringing something back to its full glory, or as near as. Since early this afternoon. I've dabbed some rose essential oil and rubbed it all over the metal very carefully. I think I'm winning! I have a very good friend who spent the majority of his working life at the Singer factory in Scotland. He is going to service the machine, both of them. He's now retired so more than happy to reminisce about his engineering days there while tinkering with my two machines.

LOL you're the second person to suggest I bake it in the car. I didn't mention I bought myself a JCW mini roadster to mark this special birthday �� The thought of putting anything smelly in it makes my hair stand on end. LOL I think I love my mini more than my sewing machines. My other half often says 'she loves her car more than me' to which I just laugh and tell him not to ever make me choose LOL