60th birthday gift.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:33 AM

Oh yes, and happy 60th! They do seem easier than we thought once we get to them , lol. (as I approach 50)
Old 03-04-2017, 08:54 AM
mac

I have seen the FW cases stripped down to nothing and then just lacquered and they are beautiful! It would be a shame to paint it and cover up the beautiful wood.

When I got my FW it smelled horrible and was very musty. I cleaned it with vinegar, which helps kill the mold and then when summer came and we had some very high temperatures, I put it in my car for a week. That did the job. It doesn't smell at all now.

If the machine smells musty, you need to take off the bottom pan and replace the felt on the pan. You can use regular felt to replace it. I took the original felt and made a pattern on cardboard so I would have a copy should I ever need to make another felt for the machine. Changing the felt totally cleared up the smell in the machine.

Happy 60th.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
I have seen the FW cases stripped down to nothing and then just lacquered and they are beautiful! It would be a shame to paint it and cover up the beautiful wood.

When I got my FW it smelled horrible and was very musty. I cleaned it with vinegar, which helps kill the mold and then when summer came and we had some very high temperatures, I put it in my car for a week. That did the job. It doesn't smell at all now.

If the machine smells musty, you need to take off the bottom pan and replace the felt on the pan. You can use regular felt to replace it. I took the original felt and made a pattern on cardboard so I would have a copy should I ever need to make another felt for the machine. Changing the felt totally cleared up the smell in the machine.

Happy 60th.
There isnt any felt on the bottom. Perhaps the seller had already removed it. I think I will definitely try just sealing the wood and only resort to painting it if absolutely necessary. Maybe add some decorative singer decals to it. I don't mind this gift being a project. I enjoy the challenge. There is definitely some reward in bringing something back to its full glory, or as near as. Since early this afternoon. I've dabbed some rose essential oil and rubbed it all over the metal very carefully. I think I'm winning! I have a very good friend who spent the majority of his working life at the Singer factory in Scotland. He is going to service the machine, both of them. He's now retired so more than happy to reminisce about his engineering days there while tinkering with my two machines.

LOL you're the second person to suggest I bake it in the car. I didn't mention I bought myself a JCW mini roadster to mark this special birthday �� The thought of putting anything smelly in it makes my hair stand on end. LOL I think I love my mini more than my sewing machines. My other half often says 'she loves her car more than me' to which I just laugh and tell him not to ever make me choose LOL
Old 03-04-2017, 11:20 AM
mac

Any place that the temperature gets really hot. Perhaps in the garage or a shed would do the trick.

Great birthday present to yourself, a JCW mini roadster. Are you going to have time to sew with all that gallivanting you will be doing in your roadster? LOL
Old 03-05-2017, 06:12 AM

At Tupperware, we were told to put crushed newspaper into the article and put it into the freezer for a while. Another trick to try.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
There isnt any felt on the bottom. ....
I believe the felt that mac was referring to was on the machine itself, not the case. You can find how to do replace the machine felt at this link -> https://singer-featherweight.com/blo...acing-the-felt It also tells about the 222 felt - Lucky you.

I've been fairly lucky that my featherweights haven't been really stinky. Actually, I kind of like the smell of old machines themselves. I had read many years ago ( http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...ine-cases.html )about using only Safeguard bar soap in the case. I did get some and opened one end of the package and stuck in the case. I'm not crazy about the Safeguard soap scent.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:00 AM

My FW case smelled awful. I wiped the inside down with a light bleach solution, dried it really well, then put in about 8 dryer sheets and a couple of cups of coffee grounds (not used, fresh out the bag). Surprised that it worked like a charm. I left it closed for about 2 days.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:24 PM

Machine and case now entirely smell free
Old 03-06-2017, 04:30 AM

The glue used to assemble the case and attach its black cover is called hide glue.