FW won't feed

Old 03-05-2017, 08:36 AM

Default FW won't feed

I have a FW and here lately it don't want to feed. Can the feed dogs get dull and not grip the material? I've adjusted the tension up and down tried new feet nothing seems to help. any advice????
Old 03-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I don't own a FW but I think a technician can adjust the feeddogs. In my old singer, I made a little cardboard gasket to go under my feeddogs to raise them up a bit. I don't know if the FW have a little screw fastening the feeddogs so could put a gasket under them.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:12 AM

The feed dogs can become worn or damaged enough to need replacement, but it will show. I'm guessing it's something else. Have you had the needle plate off and cleaned under there? Can you detect movement of the feed dogs according to stitch length setting? Even with a reasonably clean and lubricated machine I would start with a thorough cleaning, oiling and investigating parts down there. Pay particular attention to all parts involved from stitch length lever to feed dogs when oiling, wham the machine and repeat a few times. I have had machines stuck on zero stich length because of frozen up parts, and it's not always that obvious where the problem is.

Other very basic things to check is of course presser foot lever down (silly thing to forget, usually only when the darning foot is on) and presser foot tension screw.

Last edited by Mickey2; 03-05-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by fred liniger View Post
I have a FW and here lately it don't want to feed. Can the feed dogs get dull and not grip the material? I've adjusted the tension up and down tried new feet nothing seems to help. any advice????
Possibly, that could happen. I think it may be something else. Have you taken the needle plate off, and the bobbin case to clean accumulated lint and thread? A couple of other things to check is the stitch length and pressure regulator. I have this bad/good habit of releasing the pressure on the presser foot. Only when I'm not being able to sew do I realize it and change the pressure.

A link about the stitch length lever https://singer-featherweight.com/blo...h-length-lever

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:14 PM

Thumbs up problem solved

little cleaning and oil in the right spot took care it Thanks all
Old 03-05-2017, 06:48 PM

Don't forget to clean the teeth with a fine pointed needle, you will be surprised at the lint that can be in the teeth.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:40 PM

You may not have the same problem I had. One of the screws/bolts (I don't remember which) came loose -- from the mechanism that runs the feed dogs -- My son, who was a SM Mechanic for 14 years put the screw/bolt back where it belonged and guess what -- it worked. So, you may need to check the under side of the machine. Another thing, is make sure the lint is cleaned out around the bobbin case and under the needle plate. A build-up of lint can slow a machine to the point of total failure of the working parts, a failure which can be remedied by cleaning out all the lint. There are any number of reasons -- it could be the power cord -- of it has any breaks, the power court could halt the machine's operation. The foot control could be bad, or your motor may be burned out.

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 03-05-2017 at 10:47 PM. Reason: additional content
Old 03-06-2017, 08:12 AM

I had a similar problem with my fw; it would barely run. I thought; "will oil it good and then call the tech. if that doesn't do it."
Well, the oiling it did the job; runs perfectly now!

May not be this easy for your problem, but never hurts to try.
Mariah