View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 06:39 AM
Feather3

Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
When I find a pair of jeans I like (online or in store) I try and get another pair in a different color. The problem is that pair doesn't fit like the first pair. If it's the same size and company, why don't they fit the same?
If you ever worked in a garment factory you'd know. Fabric is cut by a machine slamming a die(s) down thru many layers of fabric or via a thin wire cutting around a paper or heavy board pattern. The tiniest shift & it throws everything off. They'd squeeze dies/patterns to the very edge, sometimes a little beyond.

If the sewer gets it caught in their machine, it's pulled out, & then trimmed & made to fit. Flat Fell machines were the worst for getting fabrics caught. Sleeves were often different lengths. We had to pull on the fabric to make it fit. And "Brand" didn't matter. We sewed for many of the top stores back then. They had been here for over 150 years when they closed all local factories & moved to Mexico back in the 80's. They still have some weaving done here, but all sewing is off shore.

I always measure the arms & legs of any garment I buy, to make sure they are the same or very close in length.