View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 03:49 AM
quilterpurpledog

There are pros and cons to each of the methods of quilting. There are some who pay to have the quilting done and others who do their own quilting because they want the quilt to be 'all theirs'. I fall into the last category. I have done the QAYG method and I have wrestled a queen size quilt through my home sewing machine. I just finished a king sized quilt for a grandson's wedding. My solution was to take a class on the long arm at my local LQS and arranged to rent time. I planned the quilting so I could do about 2/3 on the long arm. Then, I finished it on my own machine. It worked beautifully and cost me about $100. Part of the cost was due to my inexperience. The biggest plus was that I could get the top, batting and back (which was decorative with left over squares and fabrics from the front) straight and nicely basted. I felt that I did a good enough job-there is certainly a learning curve. I am sure that I will do this again with big quilts. It saves lots of time and stress on back and shoulders. I really cannot justify more cost for a quilt. I have a fairly generous budget but I like to feel it is well spent. So, check out the options.