Old 04-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Dolphyngyrl

Originally Posted by mountainwoman View Post
I use a lot of precuts -layer cakes, charm packs, and my all-time favorite, "Jolly Bars" (5"x10" coordinated fabrics by Moda made exclusively for the Fat Quarter Shop. I use these because cutting, even with the wonderful rotary cutter, is difficult because of arthritis in my hands. I have never bought a "fat quarter" cut, but I've come across a good sale and am considering buying some, but I really don't know what to do with them!

My quilts tend to be a combination of other pre-cuts, e.g., the Jolly Bars or layer cakes with Moda bella solids. It seems to me the only thing I can do with a fat quarter is cut it up. I get it that these would be easier to cut into pieces than in working with yards of fabric, but that seems really expensive and potentially wasteful to me.

So, could someone explain to me why quilters are so excited about fat quarters?

Thanks!
I use them in bags pin cushions, applique, pillows, great for small projects also there are numerous quilt patterns just for fat quarters so I is just a preference I prefer jelly rolls and fat quarters to layer cakes and charms by far, more fabric to work with.