Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why are quilters so excited about fat quarters? >

Why are quilters so excited about fat quarters?

Why are quilters so excited about fat quarters?

Old 04-06-2017, 06:10 PM

One of the LQS's sometimes has a deal on FQ's. It's a great time to stock up. It's also fun to get them at quilt shows. Usually I try to get a few that go together. Usually with fabrics I find that "lightning strikes", if you know what I mean!!
Old 04-06-2017, 06:26 PM

I love fatquarters, especially bundles, because they're versital. Whether a pattern calls for jelly rolls, layer cake, or charms, I can make it with a FQ bundle.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:24 PM

While I do love working with precuts, I do absolutely agree with you about there just being too many different prints in a layer cake, etc. Choosing a pattern and then trying to make all those different prints work can be a challenge.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:55 PM

Yes, I imagine people have come up with patterns for fat quarters; I think I could adapt some that I have for the use of the Jolly Bars to fat quarters. In the patterns I've looked up online, though, there still seemed to be a lot of cutting involved. I did figure out, using my QuiltPro computer program, that I could come up with a quilt using 3X4 fat quarters with sashing in between. Unless I LOVED the fat quarter fabric though, it would be rather boring, I think...
Old 04-07-2017, 01:57 PM

Thanks for your input. I did look online for patterns using fat quarters, but I didn't really care for them because of the amount of cutting involved. Maybe I'll take a trip to a store or library and look for patterns.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:02 PM

Yes, I can see how this would be the case. I guess it is all the cutting that I'm trying to avoid. I've only been quilting for about a year and a half, and I suppose I should have chosen an activity that doesn't stress my arthritic hands so much (even typing this post hurts), but I just LOVE quilting! I enjoy making them for my friends and family. I very much enjoy my bi-monthly meetings with my quilting group to make quilts for those in need. So, I guess I will keep on quilting! As for fat quarters, I think I'll give them a try and see what I come up with.

Thanks for your response.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:04 PM

Thanks for your input! I've only been quilting for about a year and a half, and applique is one of the techniques I am interested in but feel I am not ready to tackle yet. I can see how fat quarters would work, in particular, for that technique.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:06 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I need to do some research and spend more time experimenting with this size using my QuiltPro program...
Old 04-07-2017, 02:09 PM

Okay. I think I could view this as "stash" and figure out later what to do with them. Now I need to look up what I-spy and bug jar quilt patterns are. One thing about quilting, there's just always something new to learn out there!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:25 PM

Yes, I can see how using fat quarters as you've described would work well. I think it would at least be a good idea to purchase some to have on hand and see what comes up in terms of a use; I also should look at patterns, as well. I admit that I do look for "easy," in part because I've only been quilting for about a year and a half and because of arthritis -as you so well understand! As I said in another reply, I probably should have taken up something other than quilting, but I just love it! I love thinking about a family member or friend and designing a quilt that is based on their interests, needs, etc. I know they enjoy them because I see them using them. I joined a quilting group at my church (and not all members attend my church), and a couple of them in particular have served as mentors to me, offering me advice and suggestions as we make quilts for those in need. So, like you, the pain is a small thing when the pleasure of quilting is so large.