Old 04-04-2017, 08:03 PM
Jeanette Frantz

Default Problem Sandwiching Quilt? I think I have an answer!

I am a "rank amateur" when it comes to quilting, but I've gotten well acquainted with the term "sandwiching the quilt." It has really been a thorn in my back for the past 2-3 years. I had almost come to the conclusion that I would have to stop quilting simply because I cannot bend over my bed, or my dining room table from a standing position, and i cannot stand for lengthy periods of time (more than 30 minutes). Then, I remembered that back in around 2002 or 2003, my husband had purchased a kit for a Hinterberg frame (at that time constructed for a maximum twin-size quilt. I did my first baby quilt on that frame. Now thatI'm making larger quilts, sandwiching the quilt has been a real problem due to my back problem. Sandwiching a quilt (about half a quilt, really) puts me in bed for two days. I can't afford to send them out for sandwiching and quilting. A couple of days ago, I remembered that this frame was expandable and that would be a wonderful way to sandwich my quilts. So, yes, it is expandable, and my son is in the process of doing the expansion. The advantages are many, but two of them are: 1) I can sit down to do the basting/pin pasting (I can't use the sprays due to asthma), and I'm not able to crawl around on the floor for this task, and 2) I won't be bending over. So, I won't have to stop making quilts! I am ecstatic about that - the creative process is very fulfilling! I'm making new leaders for the expanded size of the frame, so I think this is going to work for me. Even though I'll be quilting the quilts on my 201, this solves the major problem. Any ideas, suggestions?