Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Iona D.

This is what I have done up to now. The first photos are how I constructed the units and the blocks using clothes pins from the local hardware store instead of straight sewing pins. In the sewing factory & the sample rooms, pins are generally not used at all (I personally never pinned there). The sewing operator usually uses his/her hands as pins by grasping the edges of the product & sew instead of time wasting pinning beforehand. At home, I like to bundle the units/blocks together and sew with clothes pins as I store the presorted unfinished pieces together in my storage boxes until I have the time to sew them together. I know not only they stay together, they will stay in the right direction of the fabric’s own nap without me being stabbed with regular pins, plus distortion sometimes caused by pinning is eliminated by the larger area clamping action of the clothes pin. Sewing over them is impossible as they are so big. Or disappearing into the flooring (possible hazard with straight pins).

The units are now becoming blocks. I was able to sew up these 2 today. I still have to square up the blocks a bit more, but that is easily remedied. No additional blocks have to be made as they all are the basically the same squared size. The size is somewhat bigger than I intended them to be for the daybed it’s being made for. That means that the border is iffy at this time. I have to see if I even need one to fit the bed.

This project has to wait a few days as the temperature is due to rise over 85 degrees around here. I cannot sew without air conditioning hence the project postponement until early next week. I really want to complete the project!

Attached Thumbnails assembling-units-together.jpg   blue-marbled-block.jpg   yellow-flowers-block.jpg   chain-stitching-units.jpg