Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Iona D.

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Interesting approach to piecing, using clothes pins......but I also noticed that your seams are not the traditional 1/4" either.....but you are enjoying your new creative outlet and it's working for you. Do you intend on trying some other block patterns too?
Sorry about my not mentioning my nontraditional approach to basic sewing habits earlier. I tend to put all of my sewing products (including fancy traditional quilts (like the one in discussed here & in production right now) through a great deal of use-& resulting stress-during the product's lifetime. That means machine washing & drying when needed. I made one quilt almost 35 years ago almost 100% by sewing machine which is still in use (my almost 90 year old mother uses it for sleeping). It was sewn with 1/2 inch seams & machine made bar tacked stitched instead of traditional quilting lines or designs whether by machine or hand. It is falling apart now, but the seams are still strong and unbroken, even though the fabric is beginning to give out. Wall hangings and other light use ones is fine with the 1/4 inch seams. Hand sewn ones too as well. That was the way they were constructed even before the sewing machine was invented. With mostly or fully machine sewn (like this one), I find I'm more accurate with 1/2 inch seams. True more fabric is used when being made (i.e. the 1 seam geese are formed by folding rather than cutting out), but it's worth it at least for me time-wise and longer lasting-wise. It's simple as making a personal preference or choice especially out of the sewing industry I no longer work in. It seems there are some benefits to getting older.

I'm taking a break after this one is completed for the summer as far as large quilting projects go. I will switch to less involved apparel construction. I need a nice mottled red furry fleece jacket right now until it gets hot around here in a couple of months. Plus I have a good use for those awful limpy, cheesy, or plain ugly, cheap fabrics I-and perhaps many of you-sometimes get stuck with will be used as more idea generators. I play with them until I see what works for me. Then I make notes, take smartphone photos, and make the patterns for the next potential projects. I see one for late fall. Too early to comment what it will be exactly. Except I will continue to experiment with the 1 seam sewing technique more. I want to see if I can develop some strong star ideas through this technique.

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Wow, how do you manage to squish all your fabric through the harp of your machine? Are you left-handed?

I like the simplicity of your blocks. That will make for a lovely quilt.
I make a point to sew in sections, not whole tops at once, even when it comes to using my machines. Plus I am rather limited to a single table when cutting/sewing (my sewing corner is very tiny). If you sew everything right, there should be no swishing (might just distort the fabric as well, possibly losing accuracy). I'm right handed.

It's an experiment, but I am hopeful as well. Thank you for the encouragement.

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Don't be sad. Many of us left willingly and have no desire to go back. I love Texas and can't imagine living anywhere else!
I've lost so many good friends due to the high costs of living in Southern California. I did not think that it would be possible to live a good life when relocating to another part of the country. Perhaps it's time to rethink some thoughts I have on the subject. Lives definitely do change and we must follow our hearts & needs.

Last edited by Iona D.; 04-20-2017 at 11:49 AM.