Old 04-21-2017, 11:05 AM
Iona D.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I've been reading through all of your step by steps on you "project". Whatever you did in the rag industry, quilting is different than garment construction. I strongly suggest you take some basic quilting classes to learn easier ways to quilt with better results. If you don't want to attend in person, you could learn a lot from the classes offered at Craftsy. There is so much great information online nowadays!

I can assure you, also, that living a 'good life' apart from living in Los Angeles is not only possible, but quite probable! I love living where I do... miles and miles and miles away from you.
I like the "rag trade." It wasn't the real reason why I was involved with it. I was a college student who graduated from one of the many fine well known universities around here with a degree in the social sciences (not fashion) by working at those same low paid raggy jobs which existed at that time (late 1970s-early 1980s). I graduated with no help from my parents, co worker associates, boyfriend at the time, or anyone else financially. Neither did I took out a student loan until I went to grad school later. I worked at both the food service trade & the fashion industry when the government jobs dried up after my first graduation. I seem to like to keep up with with cloth the best now. I no longer will make any money from it anymore than cooking & serving. It is now a simple diversion/hobby and that it will stay. It keeps my mind sharp and analytical with minimal stress. That means that if my "project" as you say does not turn out the way it should by my or other's ideal, what of it? Who really would care? My "rag trade" bosses? (probably dead by now). My visitors? (they don't care about quilts). Other quilters? (don't know any anymore-the last one move away about 15 years ago). It will be-and is-still very usable as a light summer bed covering and that is what I need right now. The rest is just practice & amusement.

I might appear to be hard nosed and "mean" to many. In my world, you better be or else you are out in the street. Believe me, there are so many homeless people here now-you almost step on them when you go anywhere now. I learned to take care of myself as to take care of my mother. Since we owned property here, I stay here for now. If you miles and miles away from me, that might mean you are in a 4 season area. Not for me as my father left Ohio and never returned because all that snow way back in 1935. If I want snow, I can go up into the nearby mountains for that. And leave it behind later when I tire of it (I prefer the beach). My long dead father was right. Southern California has the best weather for the most part-just earthquakes, wildfires, & flooding are the bane of our residents' existences. Plus too many people now crowding the LA basin (more coming in than leaving still). Deserts (high & low), mountains, beaches, forests, valleys-all within an hour's drive from where I sitting right now. Plus the fashion industry's related movie/tv industry that grew up around here because of all these natural gifts. The celebrities still crowd their own haunts and mansions to the west of me. I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon. They keep coming back.

I'm not here for a popularity contest. That was work & school a long time ago. I simply state what I want and create it for myself without troubling others to do it for me. I was gifted with a new Samsung Chromebook 3 very recently and wanted to see what it does online with social media is all.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Wonder Clips would be better then the clothespins to keep the fabric together. I enjoyed S California the years I lived there but once I had children I knew it wasn't where I wanted to raise them. I have no intention of ever going back there to live as all my family and most of my old friends have moved away from CA too.
I admit that I don't quilt that much like most of you probably do. I just dabble in it when both the mood & opportunity hits. Don't have much free time anymore taking care of my mother and another elderly friend. Plus my present income now does not allow me to buy much. Thank you for your suggestion, though. I really should update some things I have on hand. My Chromebook shows many more things I should consider as well. Like a new simple sewing machine to be a back up to the one shown in Post #1 photo purchased ASAP.

When I think of my personal friends and relatives that moved away from CA, sometimes it does feel a bit lonely now. I don't see any point in myself leaving right now. There are some perks here (like excellent medical/dental coverage), that I don't want to lose. I agree with you about raising children here. Not a good place anymore for children to grow up. They could always come here for college though if they choose to & will be able to make good choices I'm sure you will teach them.

Last edited by Iona D.; 04-21-2017 at 11:10 AM.