View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 04:22 PM
peaceandjoy

"What is a "reasonable" price to pay per yard without coupons or sales?" Wish I could figure out how to highlight the last part of that quote, as most seem to be focusing on getting sales or discounts.

How do you define "LQS"? Is it a lovely, well lit, decorated shop, with lots of notions and patterns in addition to bolt after bolt of fabric as well as a place to take classes and have at least two people in the shop at all times? Or is it someplace that you can get pretty much ONLY fabric? Or is it a store of all kinds of things, with a side area of fabric?

I have all 3 available within an hour's drive, and prices vary widely. Unfortunately, my favorite recently closed due to retirement - owner was making a profit, but was at a point in life where she wanted to spend time with grandchildren and at a slower pace with less than 60 hours a week work. I don't blame her, but miss the shop! A huge part of the draw was her lovely personality.

A nicely decorated shop that offers classes, always has at least 3 people working, and has patterns and notions also available, charges at least $12.95/yd. for Moda, Red Rooster, Kaufman, Windham, etc. Unfortunately, many- myself included - find the owner to be rather snippy. I rarely stop there any more. MAYBE 1x/year. Another that offers more fabric, including novelties as well lots and lots of fat quarters, less classes and is staffed by 2 - the owner and her mother - fabric is also about $13/yd. As I like scrappy looking quilts, I love to buy fq's, and this shop is less than 1/2 mile out of my way when I travel to DD's out of state, so I do stop there at least 3x/yr. Both of these shops are well lit and are what most people think of when referring to LQS.

The area I live in (Finger Lakes of NYS) has a large Mennonite population, so there are some stores that are a little different as far as amenities. They are housed in pole barn type buildings (metal) and are not decorated. Lighting leaves something to be desired - you will need to take fabrics over near a window! There is no AC. One of them offers the bonnets and hats associated with their customs, as well as Carhartts, boots, some housewares, a few toys and books. They don't have a lot of fabric, and probably half of it is from last year's lines. However, Moda can be purchased starting at $7/yd. Widebacks start at $10/yd. They welcome "English" customers, but aren't particularly chatty, lol.

The other Mennonite shop that I frequent is almost entirely fabric, and I greatly admire the owner. A single woman who started the business on her parents' farm, she had a new shop as well as a home for herself built a few years ago as she had outgrown her former location. She's very friendly and will chat with customers. She now has room for quite a lot of fabric, from the same companies I would find in any LQS. The worst thing about her store is the lighting, but since she has a large selection that runs about $9/yd, I'll overlook that and carry bolts over to the window.

At any of these shops - and more that are much the same - I will go home with the same quality, made by the same manufacturers. I know people who don't care to shop at the Mennonite shops bc they don't get the ambiance. Whle I enjoy the frills, I also have a budget to stay in. If I'm in the area, and have time, I will stop at any and all. If I plan to buy much fabric (having invested for my impending retirement, I have a fair stash, so usually am looking for a bit to supplement, or a specific color), I will most likely go to the Mennonite shops. They are closer to my home and offer the lowest prices. If I have a destination that will take me past (or nearly) another shop, I'm likely to stop in, esp. if there is a specific line I am looking for.

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 05-02-2017 at 04:25 PM.