Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of LQS Fabric

Cost of LQS Fabric

Asking for wisdom here. I have a chance to visit 2 LQS next week. I've only ever been to 1 before, but was amazed at the price of fabric there. What is a "reasonable" price to pay per yard without coupons or sales? & Yes I understand that you get what you pay for, quality issues, etc, but please share your suggestions & experiences! Thank you!

In my area (Northern Virginia) about $10-$14

I love Moda fabrics - if I can get it for $10/$11 per yard, I feel I got a bargain.

Canada here. The low price here would be $12.99 per metre (39"). The norm for good fabric seems to be $16.99. I saw some this week for $19,99 and it wasn't special. I find better prices from Hancock in the states, even with charges. Good luck !

I like to buy from LQS's, price of the fabric and notions helps cover everything else you get there.
    You get personal help in color/fabric selection, advice about your pattern if you need it, and more.
    If we don't use them, we will lose them. I do not buy everything in Shops as it is not always possible to get there, but I try.

$10 - $15 in So. Cal.
    Penny

Blog Entries
    i generally only go when there is a sale and then try not to pay more than $8. if my disposable income was not an issue, i'd pay the price if i liked the fabric.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I'm in Arizona, Tucson area, and the LQS here run around $10 to $13.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
    $10 - $15 in So. Cal.
    10-12 here in so called too depending on type and shop
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Power Poster
    $15 to 20 here for regular priced fabric. I only buy on sale for borders and backs and try to use my stash. The LQS have priced themselves right out of business in my opinion.

In Northern Indiana the prices are $10-$14 on average, although I do try to buy when I can get a discount or there is a sale. It's the quality over the price...and a matter of supporting local business.
    Sue

I'm on a very limited income so try to use my way-too-large stash. When I need fabric, my LQS has fabric at $10.00 to $13.00. They keep track of expenditures and when a certain amount is reached, you get a gift certificate. They have frequent sales also.

$10 - 15 here in Pensacola. But, there are sales tables and sales on certain items each month. Whenever I shop a new LQS when traveling, I usually stick with 1 yard of what I consider "Glorious color", precuts, or new panels. Only once have I seen an entire line that I wish I had purchased. Even then, I wrote the name of the line down and later purchased it online.

I live in northern Arizona and the cost of fabric from LQS is $12 to $14. Sometimes I can luck out and find what I need on the clearance table.

Banned
    My LQS is Marshals dry goods. I find good quality fabric there any day for usually less than $8 a yard. It doesn't have to have a famous name on it to be good quality fabric.

Where are the bargains in fabric.

Blog Entries
    three of our LQS have closed. I only have on-line now and it is not fun.

I shop at Marshall's Dry Goods fabric distributors. I am spoiled to lower prices. I will buy my other quilting needs like notions, thread, and tools from local shops but not fabric unless it's on clearance. I buy pre cuts online from various online shops.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Most of the quilt shop fabric in this area is $11.99 and $12.99 per yard. The shop I use most has occasional sales. They always have a 40% off sale between Christmas and New Year's and a sale on selected items regularly. There are some fabric "outlets" that carry older, out of print, name brand quilting fabric for $5.00 and $6.00 per yard. If I need solids, I get Kona at JoAnn's with a coupon or at Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby is $6.29 for the Kona. I'm in Dallas.

bkay

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    LQS have overhead. They have to make a profit. Many have classes and they also go to market to bring fabric to the customers. So yes they are going to charge more than you may on line. There are a few places who don't charge for shipping but think about it. They will make their money somewhere and one way or the other the consumer is going to pay for it just like anyone else. With me it's how soon do I want or need it. Do I have something I can use in the meantime and how motivated am I to get into the sewing room. I buy a lot of eye candy and pay for it but don't always eat it. We all love our stash whether we use it or not!...I prefer to support my LQS. I am sad the one nearest and dearest to me is retiring. Going to my neighbors. She got some "candy" and some wine!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I shop at Marshall's Dry Goods fabric distributors. I am spoiled to lower prices. I will buy my other quilting needs like notions, thread, and tools from local shops but not fabric unless it's on clearance. I buy pre cuts online from various online shops.
    Marshall's IS my local shop. Its them---or Walmart.

If I see less than $11, I take a good look and see if I want some. I mostly expect about $12 because I love batiks.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Long Island, New YOrk, about 12.99 to 14.99/yard
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    LQS have overhead. They have to make a profit. Many have classes and they also go to market to bring fabric to the customers. So yes they are going to charge more than you may on line. There are a few places who don't charge for shipping but think about it. They will make their money somewhere and one way or the other the consumer is going to pay for it just like anyone else. With me it's how soon do I want or need it. Do I have something I can use in the meantime and how motivated am I to get into the sewing room. I buy a lot of eye candy and pay for it but don't always eat it. We all love our stash whether we use it or not!...I prefer to support my LQS. I am sad the one nearest and dearest to me is retiring. Going to my neighbors. She got some "candy" and some wine!!

You've captured the crux of the LQS plight as with many retailers with online competitors for the same products and less overhead, so able to sell at lower prices. It is an unfortunate situation for everyone concerned really, but the reality is, a lot of us are working with a fixed income that is constantly faced with increasing costs in basic needs, like heat, electricity, groceries and health care, squeezing our discretionary funds that we use for our hobbies, at the very least. In Canada, our fabric pricing and notions, are subject to some hefty import taxes and now exchange rates, driving our local prices into the stratosphere. While in a perfect world, we'd all have adequate funds to ignore all of these factors and be able to keep the local retailers adequately funded to keep their doors open and be there for us to meet our needs, the reality is quite the opposite and when the opportunity is available to pick up less expensive items from fabric to groceries that's what I will continue to do be it online or a trip away to a bigger center with better pricing.

Head to the back of the store, where the nice clearance fabric lives.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast