Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cost of LQS Fabric >

Cost of LQS Fabric

Cost of LQS Fabric

Old 05-05-2017, 06:45 PM

One thing that I don't think was mentioned was "it depends on how many LQS's are in your area".

I am spoilt (which is why I have a HUGE stash and am on the Fabric Moratorium thread) with the sheer number of shops I have access to in the Carolinas. Living somewhat mid-way between Charlotte and the mountains, I get tempted every year by - not one, but TWO - quilt shop hops, both of which have about 12-15 shops on their route.
And that's not including Mary Jo's, or Foust Textiles.

Foust is primarily a wholesaler, BUT... twice a year, they do "open to the public" sales. You have to buy a bolt of whatever fabric you want, or perhaps a "bundle" that usually has 8-12 coordinating fabrics of 1 - 2 yards each. I watch for this sale, as I can get 110" backing for $5/yd. A bolt will usually do 3 queen backs, and the price break makes it easy to justify buying the bolt.

Mary Jo's (a.k.a. "quilter's heaven") is widely known throughout the Carolinas (and elsewhere) for the sheer selection in the store. Not just quilting fabric, but upholstery, wedding, dance, athletic, drapery, you name it, they probably have it. Speaking of Mary Jo's, she (Mary Jo) passed away earlier this year. She was an awesome lady, and will be greatly missed in the Gaston County area.

So, with all that said... my prices can vary GREATLY - anywhere from $2.50/yard (a bolt of 60"wide muslin at Foust) to $22/yard (some absolutely GORGEOUS fabric imported from France at French Connections in Pittsboro, NC).

If you see some fabric that you TRULY fall in love with, you tend to overlook the price tag.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:00 PM

Kansas is usually 10-$13--little more for batiks. I like the selection and quality of the LQS but having a friend that owns a LQS, know that she has to be on-line in order to really make enough to stay open. Even then she works 6 days a week and usually by herself. So when I'm not using stash, or ordering batiks from Fabric Fanatics (my friend doesn't like batiks so her selection is limited), I purchase from her. Another trend I see around here is fabric stores are not staying open except Wed or Thurs through Sat in order to reduce their employee overhead. Makes those last minute needs a pain.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:41 PM

Hmmm, I went, looked, & made sure I bought something (+/- $30) at each one I visited but overall...sigh...not what I thought it was going to be like. I did see some books I'd like to invest in but the patterns seems repetitive, the fabrics too, I loved the notions walls though. Thank you for your support & wonderful advice. can't wait to visit some of the other shops,ore distance away.

Last edited by Neuras; 05-09-2017 at 07:45 PM.