Thread: Guilty?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 04:02 AM
romanojg

[QUOTE=ArtsyOne;7815954]I always buy something

Sometimes shops go out of business not because of low sales but because they haven't lived up to what is expected. I love local stores, small shops and go there first. I bought my first Viking Ruby from one that is an hour away. I was promised classes. They only ones I got was when we didn't the emb club and I'd have to rush there after work to catch the last hour. A year later I traded that one in and got the top of line that was on special. again, promised classes, got none. In between these two machines I also bought their digitizing software, I was promised classes, this whole time the shop knew I had Thur thru Sat off to do this. I still got no classes. I spent over 15, 000 there and they made a profit on me but I got a lot of frustration at not getting the addiotional learning promised. I used to go there even if I needed some fabric or thread even though I have stores closer but no independent shops. After a few years of being a loyal paying customer and getting empty promises which showed they could care less about me once the sale was made, I quit going. This past year the store closed down and I wasn't sad at all. I was sad when hancock's went under but this store. True to form, in the couple of weeks before the store closed, the owner kept on selling classes, not honoring the gift cards telling the people to wait a week or two for a sale, that never happened. It was all over FB how sad it was. I feel bad for a few of the employees who were nice and had no control over anything. No sadness for the owner. I put up on FB that this is what happens when you don't treat your customers with the respect they deserve and live up to their promises. I said there are a couple of sayings, one is Karma is a B and what goes around comes around, and this time it did.

I'm lucky because we have a fabric store here that is pretty big but locally owned to go to. When Hancock's went out of business and the other big chain fabric raised their prices this store lowered his and got more stock in. I also shop at the sew n vacs who are doing great getting more things like fabric in, even though I have to drive there but I will support them because they honor their customers and stand by their promises.

Sorry for going on but while I feel we should support our small businesses they need to value us as well. Its a two way street. If they do it right and still go under, then yes, I feel badly for them but at least they tried honestly to make it work. The economy was just against them right now.