Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Guilty?

Power Poster

Guilty?

Do you feel "guilty" if you leave a LQS empty-handed?

Banned
    Um.......no. If I don't find what I'm looking for, I don't buy. I need that money for when I DO find what I want.

Blog Entries
    Every LQS owner has her own taste when she buys. It doesn't take long to see if they mesh with your own. Some stores you could take it all home, others, you walk out empty-handed.

Power Poster
    ​I don't feel guilty if they don't have what I'm looking for.

I can always use a spool of thread and like to try new brands so I buy a new brand if there is nothing else I really want. I don't feel guilty if I don't. I have been in quiet a few quilt shops that have no thread at all for sale. That makes no sense to me but there are more then you think that don't sell thread.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I wish I had a LQS near me.....
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Avanté

If the people in the shop are nice I always buy something (when we travel and I stop at a shop). If the people aren't nice I don't feel guilty. 4 times a month I have quilt clubs at LQS's around here. I don't feel guilty leaving without buying something because I'd be really broke if I felt I had to buy 4 times a month at the shops.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    not at all. i leave many stores empty handed. owners like lookers, too, because shoppers then know where to go to get what they want when they need it
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

No, sometimes disappointed that I could not find what I was looking for, but not guilty.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I always buy something - even just a fat quarter, because I do feel guilty. And I feel even guiltier if the shop is going out of business and I buy a ton of stuff at rock-bottom prices. My favorite quilt shop in Wisconsin went out of business last week, and my local here in Minneapolis is going out of business currently.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

No, not at all.

It crosses my mind just a bit, but I figure that they did not have anything that appealed to me.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

And I feel even guiltier if the shop is going out of business and I buy a ton of stuff at rock-bottom prices.
    That's funny. It's not personal, it's business.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I do feel guilty, but I still generally leave empty-handed because I just go in to dream Last time I went in I bought some fusible webbing because every time I've been in I tell the sales lady "I'm just browsing..." That works the first couple of times but not forever! If there is a nice sale with prices below $4 a yard I will buy same fabric too.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I do, sort of. Not truly GUILTY like I've done something wrong; maybe "awkward and uncomfortable and sometimes a little sad" is a better description.

It really depends on the shop - if it's busy and bustling, or if it's a shop where I frequently DO buy things I don't worry about it one bit; I'll lookie-loo all day and not buy a thing and not feel the least bit weird about it. But if it's one of those deserted little shops with the desperate shopkeeper who you can tell would do ANYTHING for you if you'd just PLEASE BUY SOMETHING...I always feel bad for those people, trying to make their dream come true and struggling. So I feel very awkward just walking out, empty handed, and always wish I'd seen something I liked.

Yes, it's business, but there's a sentimentality to it, too, or else none of us would care about LQS's at all and just shop online, right? I WANT them to succeed, just sometimes there's nothing there for me, and there's a regretful feeling when that happens, particularly if I can tell the shop is really struggling. I probably empathize with the shopkeeper a little too well.

Power Poster
    What Sewnoma just said.

I only go to my LQS when I'm looking for something specific that I need at that moment. Since I'm retired there's no disposable cash most of the time so I have come to terms with working through what I already have.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Leaving the LQS empty-handed? Sorry, not familiar with the concept.

No, not at all. Why?
    Alyce

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    No, not at all. Why?
    So far I have always found something that wanted to come home with me. lol

I never feel guilty leaving any store with nothing. We don't have a LQS here anymore but many, many times I just went in to "look around" & never felt the need to buy if I couldn't find anything I liked or needed.

Banned
    I have to ask; if you go in the corner grocery for eggs and they are out of them, do you feel guilted into buying a bag of chips?

Yes, I feel a level of guilt because I know how important it is for the LQS to be supported by shoppers. Too often they are undercut by the large chain stores. On the other hand, if the LQS doesn't have what I need, I will not purchase what is not needed. Just yesterday, I purchased fat quarters at a LQS, paying more than what I wanted but the colors fit the final choices I needed for a quilt and the FQs were buy 4 get one free. Left guilt free...... this time.

I always find a fat quarter or two to add to my stash so I never leave empty handed.

Of course not! I leave any store empty handed if it does not have what I want or if the price is too high. I rarely shop my LQS's. I just cannot afford them and frankly, I have found them to be less than friendly unless you are a regular.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast