Old 05-20-2017, 07:57 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Well part of the problem is so many quilt block patterns go by numerous names. On the link Prism99 gave, the 8 point star Bear used in her diagram I often refer to as a Sawtooth star with a pinwheel center. The construction is done with HST units (sometimes combined with flying geese units) not the diamond units.

Jinny Beyer and Edyta Sitar commonly refer to the star made with 8 diamond shaped units and set in triangle and square units as an 8 point star.

Q65, If the templates in EQ7 are the same for both the Lemoyne and 8 point star and it is the commonly used diamond template, where all sides of the diamond are the same measurement and they are both the same size, I don't think it makes a bit of difference which pattern/template you use from EQ.
When I posted that thread - I did agonize over how to refer to those two different blocks. I checked Barbara Brackman's "Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns" and a few other other authors to see what they called them.

It can be very confusing - some blocks go by many names - and some names have several blocks that go with that name.

When all else fails - an illustration or specific reference is helpful. when referring to a block pattern.

Sometimes I wish there was a "technical/geometry" based way to refer to a block other than by a name such as "Suzie's Surprise".

Sort of like when the medical profession refers to a condition by something like "endometriosis" as compared to "John Jones Syndrome."

Or "Macarioni-Ground Beef-Tomato" dish as compared to "Veronica's Favorite".