Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Really Dumb Question re: LeMoyne vs 8 pt star

Really Dumb Question re: LeMoyne vs 8 pt star

Remember folks, my brothers got the math genes. But I have studied them on EQ7 and their configuration and rotary cutting instructions and templates, and they are the same EXACTLY except four diamonds are reversed for the LeMoyne but it is the same template. What instances would this make a difference? Be easy on me, I just don't get it. I have done multiple S&W quilts using the 8-pt method and they worked out well. Have also done PP Mariner's compass block backgrounds where reversal was necessary to fill in the spaces but this one I don't get. Maybe a bad day, huh? Help me please as I am about to embark on one that uses the LeMoyne Star using S&W and it would be much easier to just do them all at once.

Blog Entries
    Not dumb at all! I think bearisgray's explanation of the similarities and the differences is the best:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t271904.html

Sorry, I have no answer for your question, but your first line made me laugh! I say the same thing, my brothers took all the math genes! One was a banker and the other worked in accounting and I say their minds work like calculators! Actually, even reading about all that math makes me a little dizzy. In my work I did have to use math and I worked hard to do it, but not easy for me. Someone here will help you!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Not dumb at all! I think bearisgray's explanation of the similarities and the differences is the best:
    thanks for the link, Prism, that was very helpful.

Thank you, Prism99. I just read the tutorial and guess I had better stick with the pattern and the LeMoyne Star. It is obvious that bearisgray got the math genes that I didn't. I did accounting and that made sense. Never had geometry and I can tell that is where I fell down. Thanks for the link. I had not seen that before.

Well part of the problem is so many quilt block patterns go by numerous names. On the link Prism99 gave, the 8 point star Bear used in her diagram I often refer to as a Sawtooth star with a pinwheel center. The construction is done with HST units (sometimes combined with flying geese units) not the diamond units.

Jinny Beyer and Edyta Sitar commonly refer to the star made with 8 diamond shaped units and set in triangle and square units as an 8 point star.

Q65, If the templates in EQ7 are the same for both the Lemoyne and 8 point star and it is the commonly used diamond template, where all sides of the diamond are the same measurement and they are both the same size, I don't think it makes a bit of difference which pattern/template you use from EQ.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Well part of the problem is so many quilt block patterns go by numerous names. On the link Prism99 gave, the 8 point star Bear used in her diagram I often refer to as a Sawtooth star with a pinwheel center. The construction is done with HST units (sometimes combined with flying geese units) not the diamond units.

Jinny Beyer and Edyta Sitar commonly refer to the star made with 8 diamond shaped units and set in triangle and square units as an 8 point star.

Q65, If the templates in EQ7 are the same for both the Lemoyne and 8 point star and it is the commonly used diamond template, where all sides of the diamond are the same measurement and they are both the same size, I don't think it makes a bit of difference which pattern/template you use from EQ.
    When I posted that thread - I did agonize over how to refer to those two different blocks. I checked Barbara Brackman's "Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns" and a few other other authors to see what they called them.

It can be very confusing - some blocks go by many names - and some names have several blocks that go with that name.

When all else fails - an illustration or specific reference is helpful. when referring to a block pattern.

Sometimes I wish there was a "technical/geometry" based way to refer to a block other than by a name such as "Suzie's Surprise".

Sort of like when the medical profession refers to a condition by something like "endometriosis" as compared to "John Jones Syndrome."

Or "Macarioni-Ground Beef-Tomato" dish as compared to "Veronica's Favorite".

Great explanations and diagrams - thank you for posting this and thank you to bearisgray for doing it!

Now, I am going to "fuss". I taught school, college, university, for 38 years. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Never be afraid to ask for explanations. Someone on this wonderful board will be glad to answer your queries. We all have mental blocks sometimes--mine get worse as I age, but someone will help you to understand what you need to know. Good luck.

Q65, I got a chuckle out of your first line, as well. A friend of mine likes to quote this Chevy Chase line whenever we are trying to figure who owes what on a lunch check: https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...a5&action=view

And thank you, bearisgray, for the explanation with diagrams. Very helpful.